PDA

View Full Version : Bob Monkhouse: good guy?, bad guy?

blackdahlia
21-06-2007, 12:25
I passed Bob Monkhouse once in a supermarket being hounded for autographs and still telling his feeble jokes,what a shit he was. :D :D :D

Gonzo.
21-06-2007, 12:29
I've got a feeling this thread is turning into a load of sheeet.

Alpha
21-06-2007, 12:35
i've walked past a whole load of horse shit on the road before.

SFB
21-06-2007, 16:55
I think the last person who should be treated with any disrespect is Bob Monkhouse, he did more than anyone here to help those worse off than himself. He was a gentleman twice over and a very good, kindly human being, highly regarded within his profession.

Anyone who says otherwise never met him and knows nothing about his life.

Snapper
22-06-2007, 09:48
I've got a feeling this thread is turning into a load of sheeet.

I think the last person who should be treated with any disrespect is Bob Monkhouse, he did more than anyone here to help those worse off than himself. He was a gentleman twice over and a very good, kindly human being, highly regarded within his profession.

I agree with SFB. Bob was witty, funny and clever something that perhaps you strive Blackdahlia. I am sure you could pick up one of Bob's books somewhere to learn the finer points of humour. Personal attacks is not one of them.

Fenella
22-06-2007, 10:36

I used to think he was just a bloke who made bad jokes but then I found out more and he seemed like a really nice man.

SFB
22-06-2007, 12:41
He was a selfless, generous individual, one example being:

After one charity dinner organised by the CBI, he handed over his own donation to the charity. Only afterwards did the organiser realise that the cheque exactly matched Bob's fee for the night.
http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/bobmonkhouse.htm

blackdahlia
22-06-2007, 13:24
I agree with SFB. Bob was witty, funny and clever something that perhaps you strive Blackdahlia. I am sure you could pick up one of Bob's books somewhere to learn the finer points of humour. Personal attacks is not one of them.

The guy didn't have a funny bone in his body,he was a smarmy weasel.
Ugh,I couldn't stand the sight of him,yet another prat I always switched over.

Gemo52
22-06-2007, 13:28
One of my mates met him and said he was very pleasant and funny.

Snapper
22-06-2007, 14:37
The guy didn't have a funny bone in his body,he was a smarmy weasel.
Ugh,I couldn't stand the sight of him,yet another prat I always switched over.

I'm sure he would have done the same to you!

SFB
22-06-2007, 15:49
I'm sure he would have done the same to you!I don't think he would have, he was the type of person who gave anyone a chance and not write them off out of hand.

Myself and another musician were hitch hiking home from a gig in London, when a Ford Anglia screeched to a halt and the driver called out to ask where we were going. It was Bob, in full makeup on his way home from the stage production of Come Blow Your Horn. He took us as far as he could in the direction we were headed. On the way he asked us where we'd been playing that night, how long we'd been doing it. He dropped us off, wished us well and said goodbye.

He had nothing to say about his work and didn't crack any jokes. He was working with Michael Crawford at the time, so I asked him how Mike was doing and he had nothing but praise for him.
I knew Michael because he had taken my then ex girl friend, now ex wife out a few times and she knew the girl he made pregnant back then.

I imagine BD will have nothing good to say about him either, but I do understand the green with envy at other people's success syndrome, so that's nothing new.:rolleyes:

timey
22-06-2007, 17:49
There certainly seems to be plenty of evidence here that he was an OK guy. I never knew for certain myself but always thought he seemed OK, he could tell a good joke and was an excellent host for shows of all kinds. I certainly never had any feeling that there was anything bad about him. I often why some people didn't seem to like him, perhaps because he was successful (as alluded to by SFB) and that he was a Tory supporter.

blackdahlia
23-06-2007, 07:09
There certainly seems to be plenty of evidence here that he was an OK guy. I never knew for certain myself but always thought he seemed OK, he could tell a good joke and was an excellent host for shows of all kinds. I certainly never had any feeling that there was anything bad about him. I often why some people didn't seem to like him, perhaps because he was successful (as alluded to by SFB) and that he was a Tory supporter.

You failed to mention the son who didn't have one kind word for him and never spoke to him co's he was a shit.

SFB
23-06-2007, 08:30
You failed to mention the son who didn't have one kind word for him and never spoke to him co's he was a shit.
All 3 of his children were from his first marriage and it's quite common for children of a broken marriage to feel bitterness towards one parent or the other, I know that from personal experience.

His first-born Gary suffered from cerebral palsy and died aged 40 in 1993.

His second son Simon always had a difficult relationship with his father, and when he died suddenly in 2001 - from a heroin overdose in a squalid £1 a night Thai guesthouse - they were estranged and had not spoken for 13 years.I gather it's Simon you're talking about, he obviously made a wise choice on how to live his own life, so I suppose you have to find his dad guilty for that, it's the easy way out?

You sound like quite a bitter person yourself BD?

Fenella
23-06-2007, 08:57
All 3 of his children were from his first marriage and it's quite common for children of a broken marriage to feel bitterness towards one parent or the other, I know that from personal experience.
I gather it's Simon you're talking about, he obviously made a wise choice on how to live his own life, so I suppose you have to find his dad guilty for that, it's the easy way out?

You sound like quite a bitter person yourself BD?

Did Bob make any effort to heal the rift with his son? It was surely up to him to try.

SFB
23-06-2007, 09:13
Did Bob make any effort to heal the rift with his son? It was surely up to him to try.I honestly don't know, but there's a lot about his sad life and death here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=462267&in_page_id=1879

I did my best to show my children that they had a father when I found where they were living, but it was too late, their minds had been poisoned over a long period.

I find it hard to comprehend why anyone would want to start a thread specifically to speak ill of a dead man they never met.

blackdahlia
23-06-2007, 13:32
I honestly don't know, but there's a lot about his sad life and death here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=462267&in_page_id=1879

I did my best to show my children that they had a father when I found where they were living, but it was too late, their minds had been poisoned over a long period.

I find it hard to comprehend why anyone would want to start a thread specifically to speak ill of a dead man they never met.
I never liked the guy,no matter how estranged from his son,he let him die a horrible death in absolute squalor.

Add his smarmy manner and that speaks volumes to me.
He was an arsewipe of the first order IMHO.
His jokes were pathetic and lame,his acting ability was nil and Frankie Howard fancied the pants off him.
Frankie Howard was another arsewipe,what a wonderful pairing that would have been.:eek:

Gonzo.
23-06-2007, 15:36
That's just your opinion son,i saw him at The Pavilion in Glasgow 8 or 9 years ago and i was amazed at how funny he was,and beleive me the Glaswegian people don't suffer fools gladly,he had the whole place in stitches and deserved the standing ovation at the end of his show.

You are in a minority on here,maybe better luck elsewhere.

Fenella
23-06-2007, 16:00
I never liked the guy,no matter how estranged from his son,he let him die a horrible death in absolute squalor.

Add his smarmy manner and that speaks volumes to me.
He was an frecklewipe of the first order IMHO.
His jokes were pathetic and lame,his acting ability was nil and Frankie Howard fancied the pants off him.
Frankie Howard was another frecklewipe,what a wonderful pairing that would have been.:eek:

Frankie Howerd was an absolute genius, and you spelt his name wrong! :eek:

Fenella
23-06-2007, 16:11
That's just your opinion son,i saw him at The Pavilion in Glasgow 8 or 9 years ago and i was amazed at how funny he was,and beleive me the Glaswegian people don't suffer fools gladly,he had the whole place in stitches and deserved the standing ovation at the end of his show.

You are in a minority on here,maybe better luck elsewhere.

I wasn't particularly keen on Bob as a comedian to be honest. I thought he could be a bit too crude at times. That doesn't mean I think he was horrible, although I do think he should have made more effort with his sons.

Why should it matter if BD is in the minority? :confused:

SFB
23-06-2007, 16:26
It's not easy to make peace with children if they've made their minds up that you're the villain or don't come up to the standard they expect.
If you're a mother with grown children you might know Fenella, if not, ask some of those who are, otherwise it's hard to understand and pointless discussing here.

Why is BD in the minority?
Read what he writes to see why.

Fenella
23-06-2007, 17:56
It's not easy to make peace with children if they've made their minds up that you're the villain or don't come up to the standard they expect.
If you're a mother with grown children you might know Fenella, if not, ask some of those who are, otherwise it's hard to understand and pointless discussing here.

Why is BD in the minority?
Read what he writes to see why.

I didn't say BD wasn't in the minority, I just wondered why it mattered that he was.

SFB
23-06-2007, 18:15
I didn't say BD wasn't in the minority, I just wondered why it mattered that he was.It matters not a jot, but it would be nice if he could attempt to refrain from making unnecessarily bitter and twisted comments IMLO.

Fenella
23-06-2007, 18:31
It matters not a jot, but it would be nice if he could attempt to refrain from making unnecessarily bitter and twisted comments IMLO.

You mean because he has an opinion of Bob Monkhouse which doesn't happen to match yours. :rolleyes:

SFB
23-06-2007, 19:02
You mean because he has an opinion of Bob Monkhouse which doesn't happen to match yours. :rolleyes:Not at all, more because he has an unfounded opinion based on nothing and doesn't bother to listen to the reasoning of others.

Normal people respond to advice when it comes from reliable sources.

Fenella
23-06-2007, 19:05
Not at all, more because he has an unfounded opinion based on nothing and doesn't bother to listen to the reasoning of others.

In my experience that's the last thing normal people do. ;)

SFB
23-06-2007, 19:06
In my experience that's the last thing normal people do. ;)Probably because you think you're normal.:D

Fenella
23-06-2007, 19:09
Probably because you think you're normal.:D

Well I have been told I'm a bit eccentric really. :D

Seriously though, normal people hardly ever take advice. It's a very rare person who actually changes their mind on the advice of others don't you think?

SFB
23-06-2007, 19:29
Well I have been told I'm a bit eccentric really. :DWhoever said that, I'd take their word for it!

Seriously though, normal people hardly ever take advice.That isn't my experience.
It's a very rare person who actually changes their mind on the advice of others don't you think?A lot depends on age, level of understanding and intelligence.
Only a fool never accepts advice if it's sound.

blackdahlia
23-06-2007, 21:03
Not at all, more because he has an unfounded opinion based on nothing and doesn't bother to listen to the reasoning of others.

The only reliable advice I ever listen to is my own,it never fails to amaze me just how right I am,always :D .

Gonzo.
28-06-2007, 21:37
Wrong.

Gonzo.
28-06-2007, 21:39
I wasn't particularly keen on Bob as a comedian to be honest. I thought he could be a bit too crude at times. That doesn't mean I think he was horrible, although I do think he should have made more effort with his sons.

Why should it matter if BD is in the minority? :confused:

Cos there is nuthin worse than someone coming on and constantly go against the grain and being racist and admitting to it as well.

blackdahlia
29-06-2007, 05:12
Cos there is nuthin worse than someone coming on and constantly go against the grain and being racist and admitting to it as well.
I am not racist and will never and have never admitted to being racist,so where did that comment come from ?
Dont call me something i'm not.

When someone attacks me I hit back and that's the only reason I do it and i'm good at it.
They think they can call me anything and get away with it.
That's never gonna happen,I wont go down for anyone.:mad:

SFB
29-06-2007, 06:51
I wont go down for anyone.Maybe that's why you haven't got a girfriend.

blackdahlia
29-06-2007, 08:43
Maybe that's why you haven't got a girfriend.

Maybe,I wont go down for that either :)

Fenella
29-06-2007, 10:21

I was talking about BD not liking Bob Monkhouse. When has BD been racist? :confused:

Alpha
29-06-2007, 11:13
Oh dear. He's joined the mad lot at Bitchfest.

Gonzo.
29-06-2007, 14:46
Good spotting.

Alpha
29-06-2007, 14:50
Yeah, i can spot you a mile off.

Gonzo.
29-06-2007, 15:00
Ahaaaaaaaaaaa,i shall need to disguise myself better,i will change into a Sunderland fan,i vill never be recognized.

Fenella
29-06-2007, 16:02
Good spotting.

Have you joined with a different name?

Alpha
29-06-2007, 16:11
You could find it easy if you tried hard.

Fenella
29-06-2007, 16:22
I can't spot him. :(

blackdahlia
29-06-2007, 16:26

Neither can I.
Perhaps he is scared to post in case he is labelled racist or homophobic :D:D:D

Fenella
29-06-2007, 16:28
Neither can I.

Or a troublemaker like me! :D

Ck
29-06-2007, 16:45
Yeah, everyone quit sniping.

Besides, sfb sings from his own hymn sheet, that much is obvious.

/off to play Gonzo spotting.

Alpha
29-06-2007, 16:46

Neither can I.

Are you both on there now?

go into the paddling pool and look for a reply from 'Dune'

Ck
29-06-2007, 16:49
I found him :laughing:

Fenella
29-06-2007, 16:50
Are you both on there now?

go into the paddling pool and look for a reply from 'Dune'

Aha, I see! How did you spot him?

Alpha
29-06-2007, 16:52
Aha, I see! How did you spot him?

It's just one of those attractable user names

blackdahlia
29-06-2007, 16:56
I found him :laughing:

Sidsnot .:D:D:D

Fenella
29-06-2007, 17:04
Gonzo, you're not Tony Hendrix as well are you?

Ck
29-06-2007, 17:05
Sidsnot .:D:D:D

Sid's not here. :D

I now have a pic of Gonzo wearing stockings and suspenders Kenny Everett style and it is not a pretty vision. :eek::(

SFB
29-06-2007, 17:52
This topic was ill conceived from the start and an unnecessary slur against a fine human being, it should be completely deleted IMO.

Fenella
29-06-2007, 17:54
This topic was ill conceived from the start and an unnecessary slur against a fine human being, it should be completely deleted IMO.

Why? It was BD's opinion. You don't have to agree with him.

blackdahlia
29-06-2007, 17:58

Implying i'm a racist was ill conceived if you ask me but then you dont ask,you like to tell,tell someone else in future ,i've wasted enough time on you.

SFB
29-06-2007, 17:59
Why? It was BD's opinion. You don't have to agree with him.I say again, it was ill conceived and unnecessary and I may even add that it was a deliberate attempt to cause trouble.

Look up 'Trólling' for the answer.

Ck
29-06-2007, 18:02
We don't use the T word in here.

Topic locked till you learn to stop squabbling.