+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toddler Killed By Pet Snake

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Great Britain

Default Toddler Killed By Pet Snake

A two year old in Florida has been killed by the family's pet Burmese python.

Toddler Killed By Pet Python | The Morningstarr*

They usually make very good pets too.

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Scotland

Default Re: Toddler Killed By Pet Snake

Pythons are constrictors so anything they reckon they can strangle and eat they will. They usually go for small pets but this time it's a child. They shouldn't be kept in houses with kids or other animals IMO.
    The Angels Have the Phone Box

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Great Britain

Must admit we never let ours near any kids, but there was a cat sneaking about.

Seriously, some of these pet pythons wouldn't know what to do with live food.

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Morningstarr* View Post
    Must admit we never let ours near any kids, but there was a cat sneaking about.

Seriously, some of these pet pythons wouldn't know what to do with live food.
    Maybe not, but you can never tell. People need to be careful, but I guess they know that now.

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Great Britain

I guess it was a tragic accident, the snake managed to escape and it was pure fate that it ended up in the child's bedroom.

To be honest it seemed strange that the snake killed her, they would only really kill to eat and that was quite a meal it was after. The whole story is really quite odd.

Agreed... the whole story seems too odd. Snakes generally only ever kill to feed or if they are scared. A quietly sleeping child would not be any 'threat' ...
    arsh - Toddler Killed By Pet Snake

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Scotland

I've heard loads of stories about snakes killing for food in their homes - usually pets though, but there have been previous cases of children as well.

Unregistered

Talking Re: Toddler Killed By Pet Snake

Yea yea yea, I hear it all the time "Reptiles are terrible pets" It's not the animals fault. It's the owners who keep them. If this animal was given a decent enclosure (Including break proof glass & Locks) this wouldn't have happened. Americans need to RESEARCH the animal before buying it! I have an Asian water monitor that I have researched for over TWO YEARS before I got him. I don't flash him about town, he's in an escape proof enclosure. I don't allow children under the age of five touch him, nor do I let ANYONE interact with him unless I'm there to watch the animals body language.

It's idiots like this who are going to get reptiles BANNED forever!

Pet shops are the worst as well. They tell little kids and their mother that that cute five inch iguana is going to stay that way forever. But they don't! They get HUGE and vicious if not handled regularly. Once the poor lizard is too big, or the kid doesn't care for it, the mother says "Get rid of it!" And instead of finding a home, they DUMP THEM! Reptiles are not DISPOSABLE!

Lastly, America, reptiles aren't your escape goat! There are dozens of people who are MAULED by dogs and THOUSAND of cats that are put to sleep every day because there's simply not enough homes for them. Why doesn't America start controlling that population? Because cats and dogs are "traditional" pets.

Please stop blaming the animal! The owners drive the animal to do things like this. This snake probably had a cold enclosure. It escaped, found a nice warm spot, the kid woke, scared the snake, and he attacked.

Don't ban what you can't understand!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Great Britain

Latest on this story, the snake was only eight and a half foot long. But they didn't have a permit to keep one.

Killer Python Update | The Morningstarr*

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yea yea yea, I hear it all the time "Reptiles are terrible pets" It's not the animals fault. It's the owners who keep them. If this animal was given a decent enclosure (Including break proof glass & Locks) this wouldn't have happened. Americans need to RESEARCH the animal before buying it! I have an Asian water monitor that I have researched for over TWO YEARS before I got him. I don't flash him about town, he's in an escape proof enclosure. I don't allow children under the age of five touch him, nor do I let ANYONE interact with him unless I'm there to watch the animals body language.

It's idiots like this who are going to get reptiles BANNED forever!

Pet shops are the worst as well. They tell little kids and their mother that that cute five inch iguana is going to stay that way forever. But they don't! They get HUGE and vicious if not handled regularly. Once the poor lizard is too big, or the kid doesn't care for it, the mother says "Get rid of it!" And instead of finding a home, they DUMP THEM! Reptiles are not DISPOSABLE!

Lastly, America, reptiles aren't your escape goat! There are dozens of people who are MAULED by dogs and THOUSAND of cats that are put to sleep every day because there's simply not enough homes for them. Why doesn't America start controlling that population? Because cats and dogs are "traditional" pets.

Please stop blaming the animal! The owners drive the animal to do things like this. This snake probably had a cold enclosure. It escaped, found a nice warm spot, the kid woke, scared the snake, and he attacked.

Don't ban what you can't understand!
    Brilliant post, guest. I agree with you on every point, dogs are far more dangerous than pet reptiles but people don't tend to see it that way.

Good work on the water monitor too, that sounds cool as fuck. How big is it? Water monitors are pretty huge aren't they?

+ Reply to Thread Today's Posts New Posts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast