Thread: Women told to 'drink less' to avoid rape.

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,633
    Given: 2,406
    England

Default Women told to 'drink less' to avoid rape.

Link to story

I've got mixed views on this. On one hand I feel women should be able to go out and get as pissed as they like without the fear that it might lead to a potential sticky situation but on the other, the fact is that some men will and do take advantage of drunken women.

Surely though, rather than tell women they should be drinking less, they'd be better off drumming it into them not to put themselves at risk by going back to a strangers house or allowing one to go back to theirs and by drumming it in to women that they have some responsibilty to get themselves home safely by not taking any risks. I don't look at any man as a potential rapist but I have this view, if a strange bloke knocked at my door and asked to come in when I was sober I'd tell him to fuck off, so why would I change my stance when I'm pissed. Or is that too simple?

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What about women who rape men, why isn't that ever mentioned?

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    England

I don't know. I could only guess.

If a man was pissed and a woman were to take advantage of the situation, would he be less likely to cry rape and more likely to put it down as simply he was taken advantage of? :?

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 751
    Given: 1,793
    Great Britain

Unless he's sodomised he probably won't be that bothered. If he was that pissed he didn't know what he was doing at the time he's unlikely to even remember.

The bottom line is the same principle applies to men and women, if you go out and drink enough to lose control you are putting yourself in danger. Men may not be as much risk of being raped but they still run the risk of violent assault, traffic accident, choking on their vomit, etc, etc.

The controversy with drunk women being raped is it sounds like blame is being put on the woman for being irresponsible. Well quite frankly they do have some responsibility to stay safe. If I left the keys in my car and discovered it missing the person who took the car is still a theif and should recieve the full effect of the law, but that doesn't mean I'm not a fool who could've prevented the whole episode.

If you want to lose control due to drink or drugs you should arrange proper supervision from people you can trust, but ultimately if anything does happen to you you must accept that your own actions were a contributing factor.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It is because you hear more often about women being raped rather than men. I don't think drinking has any impact on rape at all. If you look at it, the men are the ones who know that what they are doing is wrong but continue to do it anyway. No matter how many drinks a woman has it doesn't really affect the situation. Most guys who rape women are stronger than women so no matter sober or not a women can't push a guy off of her or fight back. A woman can try but it won't do much good.

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 751
    Given: 1,793
    Great Britain

I'd agree that being drunk doesn't automatically make you a target for rapists, but there have been several publicised cases of women claiming rape after they sobered up so it does happen. In these cases the women were lured or agreed to accompany complete strangers on a one night stand, had they not been drunk they may have behaved much differently.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    England

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    Most guys who rape women are stronger than women so no matter sober or not a women can't push a guy off of her or fight back. A woman can try but it won't do much good.
    I've been on several self defence courses through work were we learned a few tricks that we could use were physical strength isn't really an issue.

One was that, if you get the chance, to pull their erect penis down from 12 O'clock to 6 O'clock really fast. and the other was to bend back your hand and use the bend were the palm joins the wrist to smack upwards as hard as you can the underneath of their nose, this apparently pushes their nose bone right into their face and hurts a lot.

I'd recommend any woman to go on a self defence course if they get the chance, it's not all about attacking back, they give some really good tips on how to do your best to avoid potential situations happening, more like self awareness really.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts