Thread: Solar heating/Wind turbines.

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,770
    Given: 2,512
    England

Default Solar heating/Wind turbines.

My neighbour has recently had solar heating installed. I believe at the cost of around £3000 per average house that this will significantly cut down on heating bills thus making a huge saving long term.

I'm seriously tempted to have this installed as my combined gas and electric bill has now risen to £78 per month.

My other neighbour today was telling me that he was tempted to get a wind turbine installed. He believes them to cost approx £1,500 but planning permission is required.

As I understand it, the local council, where my neighbour works, is offering to fund half the cost for solar heating to be installed but as yet no funding is available towards the cost of a turbine.

As energy prices are on the increase, do you think solar power is a wise investment?

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,797
    Great Britain

I'd be tempted to go with alternative energy supply just for the novelty of it.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,439
    Given: 3,124

It's cost effective in sunny countries - but I didn't think it would be in the UK to be honest :?

... the wind turbine 'might' work though. I can't see the energy lasting long enough to 'power' heating through the winter with either though.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    England

Apparently the solar power works on daylight not sunlight.

It's going to be hard to tell what savings my neighbour has made until he's had it for a full year though.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ck
    Apparently the solar power works on daylight not sunlight.
    It's going to be hard to tell what savings my neighbour has made until he's had it for a full year though.
    I had solar lamps in my garden in England. They stayed on during the day 'charging' - then lit up at night. I found they were dimmer through the winter (so I'm assuming they store more energy the 'brighter' the daylight). I'm not conviced it'll work - especially if you nead a lot of heat in winter - and do they still have 'a back up' if the energy runs out? It'd be good if it really works though.

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

At the present time it's not a viable proposition except in the VERY long term. My friend in Cyprus had solar heating installed over 5 years ago and hasn't come close to saving what he paid for the system yet. He told me that it may take more than 10 years to recoup the outlay.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

God that's a long time - I didn't think it'd take that long (especially in a place like Cyprus) hock:

I wouldn't bother - unless there were more benefits then just saving money.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    England

That is a long time hock:

It's going to be another 6 months before my neighbour will be able to compare what energy he's saved in a full year. He said he'll have to go off the actual units consumed rather than the bill otherwise he'll get a false result what with the prices shooting up like they have.

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Shitforbrains
    At the present time it's not a viable proposition except in the VERY long term. My friend in Cyprus had solar heating installed over 5 years ago and hasn't come close to saving what he paid for the system yet. He told me that it may take more than 10 years to recoup the outlay.
    Is this a fair comparison?
    I'm going to assume that heating isn't used as much in Cyprus as in the UK due to the warmer climes, and the cost of energy also needs to be taken into consideration.

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ck
    That is a long time hock:

It's going to be another 6 months before my neighbour will be able to compare what energy he's saved in a full year. He said he'll have to go off the actual units consumed rather than the bill otherwise he'll get a false result what with the prices shooting up like they have.
    Your neighbour may save money annually on his energy bills, but how long before he can write off the cost of the installation???

Kaiser, loath as I am to answer anything you write;-
    The comparison of installation costs versus energy saving is always worth consideration before deciding on a course of action.

MrM* may think it's a good idea to go with it for the novelty factor, hopefully he has very deep and full pockets.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts