Thread: Beauty Addicts: How Toxic Are You?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Default Beauty Addicts: How Toxic Are You?

Did anyone watch this show tonight on Channel4 at 8pm? For those that didnt, this is what it was about;

We're made of chemicals, we rely on them, they're the basis of life. But the wrong types, in the wrong concentrations can cause serious damage. There are around 30,000 chemicals licensed for use in the UK today. Most make our lives easier, some make our lives safer, but for others, the jury is out.

Every year we splash out 6.4 billion on beauty products, but do we ever stop to think about what's in them or what they could be doing to us? The beauty industry spends 600 million a year marketing its products as pure, simple, organic and natural, but what's the truth behind the hype? Presenter Sarah Beeny wants to find out. First she meets Emma and Charlotte, two beauty-obsessed sisters. Between them they spend almost 1,000 a month on their beauty regime, but they have no idea how many chemicals are in their favourite products or whether these could be damaging their health.

Sarah has the girls tested, and with the help of two experts, is able to reveal the chemicals being stored in their bodies and then shows them how to detox by removing chemicals from their lives. Then Sarah meets two young mums to see whether the chemicals in the products they use are being passed on to their babies, before taking to the streets to find out whether parents really know what's in the special baby products they are buying.
    Very interesting and enlightening programme for the public, it's a good idea that they are bringing out the awareness of this right now, as it does shed some fine truths. The main principle of the programme was to make the girls understand what man made chemicals used in beauty products and cleaning products can do, to affect their body. They tested this girls and found all these chemicals inside them from previous years.

One other thing it bought to light was the statements of 'natural' products with man made chemicals which are misleading to the public. The programme tested out several organic products(without the man made chemicals) to see if they said what they intended to do, to show people that these products can very well do the same job as the ones with chemicals, and are less harmful.

I don't use chemical products myself, simply because of these reasons and because, I seem to develop rashes with products that contain man made chemicals. I made this choice a long time ago, and I am happy as it's the only way I can live.

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 1,763
    Great Britain

Default Re: Beauty Addicts: How Toxic Are You?

Do you use a crystal for deodorant?

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,555
    Given: 2,310
    England

I did

0 Not allowed!

Standard Confederate
    Thumbs Up

I prefer chemicals to "natural" ingredients because natural often means some kind of ingredient made from animals.

0 Not allowed!
    What a hoot!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Morningstarr* View Post
    Do you use a crystal for deodorant?
    No, I don't use deodorant.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Fenella View Post
    I prefer chemicals to "natural" ingredients because natural often means some kind of ingredient made from animals.
    For me, that is natural. There are more finer ingredients in plants that work better, then regular toxic ingredients. Beer is a great volumiser for fine hair

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 1,763
    Great Britain

Beer has been helping women look more attractive to men for years!

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts