Thread: This Election....

The Unseen Hero
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 32
    Canada

Default This Election....

Lets get it over with already, lets get the right person in who can do better!

Election 2017 - BBC News

0 Not allowed!
    Orbis non sufficit

13 medium - This Election....

'I'd sit alone and watch your light,
    My only friend through teenage nights,
    And everything I had to know, I heard it on my radio'

Registered Member Gunboat Diplomat's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Default Re: This Election....

They're all a bunch of liars cheats and thieving little bastards, so it's a case of 'choose your devil'.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,395
    Given: 1,316
    Scotland

Well, that was an interesting night. I wasn't looking forward to it at all and had really lost interest in it, which is unusual for me. Then I saw the exit poll and I thought "you're kidding". I couldn't believe it could be right and remembered Paddy Ashdown and his hat being on the menu, and calmed down a bit. But as the night went on I got more and more encouraged, and some of the results were fantastic.

As I said before, a hung parliament was about the best we could hope for, but I assumed that meant they would do badly in Scotland. But no, the result was actually the best of both worlds, ie the tories did badly in England but well in Scotland, along with the other "Unionist" parties. We got rid of our SNP MP and they lost 21 seats in the end, so IndyRef2 is buried for the time-being. Result #1.

As for the hung parliament, well, they are being propped up by the DUP (or at least they think they are), but the DUP don't want a hard Brexit, so I'm not sure what that means for that process. hopefully it will mean a softer Brexit and we can at least stay in the Single Market. Result #2, hopefully. I'm not sure what May is playing at though. She seems to just be carrying on as though nothing has happened. She surely can't just go into the Brexit negotiations with their own agenda now as they don't have a mandate for it. She has to at least speak to the DUP to get their slant on it and probably other parties as well. The next few months should be interesting, that's for sure.

3 Not allowed!

The Unseen Hero
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 32
    Canada

The thing about the DUP, is that i know that they are Irish... but apparently theyre anti-abortion, anti-LGBT and alot of other bad things.

Election results 2017: The Democratic Unionist Party - BBC News

And now shes getting into bed with them. She may aswell be an Ostrich considering shes sticking her head into the sand.

0 Not allowed!
    Orbis non sufficit

13 medium - This Election....

'I'd sit alone and watch your light,
    My only friend through teenage nights,
    And everything I had to know, I heard it on my radio'

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,530
    Given: 2,000

I'm surprised Theresa May isn't resigning. It seems wrong for her to stay after causing more disruption. I'm hoping Strong and Stable will be dropped now, it's beyond annoying.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Most people think she should resign. Trouble is, who would we get as a replacement? They're talking about Boris.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The thing about the DUP, is that i know that they are Irish... but apparently theyre anti-abortion, anti-LGBT and alot of other bad things.

Election results 2017: The Democratic Unionist Party - BBC News

And now shes getting into bed with them. She may aswell be an Ostrich considering shes sticking her head into the sand.
    I know, it's not good in a lot of ways. I don't think it will last. Historically, minority governments are always followed by an election within a year or so. So we could have another one on the way soon.

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,530
    Given: 2,000

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    Most people think she should resign. Trouble is, who would we get as a replacement? They're talking about Boris.
    That's always been the problem, but she's on a proper power trip. It was always going to be a bit of a mess, but her staying is going to make it worse. She's only got 2 years to negotiate, it took her a year just to sign the thing and now she's wasted time on this.

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    I know, it's not good in a lot of ways. I don't think it will last. Historically, minority governments are always followed by an election within a year or so. So we could have another one on the way soon.

Was this one three years early? Malta had a snap election because the Prime Minister was called out for being corrupt, but I think it was only a year early. Can you imagine another one in the UK so soon after all the voting within this last year?

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

I know, people would be sick of it by then I think. We'll have to see how it plays out. She could hang on for the full term with the DUP support, but even with their support the majority is tiny. Every little bit of dissent from the DUP or even within the Conservative party will be magnified and become a major problem. I reckon we'll be back at the polls again within two years.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts