Thread: Snap General Election

The Unseen Hero
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 32
    Canada

Default Snap General Election

Theresa May has called for a surprise General Election in June on the 8th.

May to seek snap election for 8 June - BBC News

1 Not allowed!
    Orbis non sufficit

13 medium - Snap General Election

'I'd sit alone and watch your light,
    My only friend through teenage nights,
    And everything I had to know, I heard it on my radio'

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,395
    Given: 1,313
    Scotland

Default Re: Snap General Election

I'm surprised bearing in mind she kept saying that they would carry on until 202, but on the other hand I can see why they would do this now. We'll have to see what happens.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,528
    Given: 1,997

It's probably the best thing to do, I hope it doesn't backfire and make things worse rather than better.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

It probably couldn't get much worse to be honest.

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    It probably couldn't get much worse to be honest.
    I'm not sure, when people are allowed to vote you don't know what will happen.

It should be a done deal that Theresa May stays and just gains more seats, but it could go wrong. Imagine those Labour voters who will never vote anything else, the ones that really don't have a clue but are told and must vote labour because that's what their parents did, are they going to feel dirty putting that cross next to the conservatives this time and be able to do it?

Then you've got the people who vote conservative, probably the younger ones more than anything, would they really risk voting something else in the hope brexit won't happen?

It was so much easier when you didn't have to think too much about what if and just went with your gut and voted for the friendliest face that came on the leaflets through the door.

1 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

I would say the Conservatives would be older voters rather than young ones. But basically it's all down to floating voters. The ones you speak of will put their cross against the party that they always have without thinking, it's the people who change their vote from election to election that will decide it, and there are more of them than you may think.

As to the eventual result, it's difficult to say what will happen. The polls all give the Conservatives a massive lead (and the polls are never wrong are they? ), so we are expecting an increase in majority. If that makes it easier to negotiate Brexit, then so be it, but I'm not sure it would be a good thing. Personally, I'm not sure how to vote. I don't really want a Labour government, especially not with Corbyn as leader, but the alternative is a stronger Tory government of the sort that I am not really happy with. Plus, our stupid voting system doesn't really give us much control. In our constituency it's SNP or Conservative, voting for anyone else is a wasted vote. And what the country ends up with is in the lap of the gods. In the last parliament people kept saying the country had "chosen" a hung parliament, when in fact they hadn't, it was just how it worked out. People didn't go into the polling booths saying "I'll vote for a hung parliament", because that option is not on the ballot paper, much less the eventual choice of a Conservative-Lib Dem coalition. So what we get in the end is largely luck, and rarely what a majority of people actually want. Until we get a better voting system it will always be the same, and things like Brexit will be allowed to happen.

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I worded that badly, I mean people who usually vote conservative and wanted to remain part of the EU might vote for whoever promises a bit more hope. The younger ones in that category seem to feel stronger, so I just thought they'd be more likely to do it. I didn't mean younger people tend to vote conservative.

It's not good when you think about it too much, you still need a good mix and if this ends with a stronger Conservative government, which seems likely, I can't see people being happy about it. A lot of people who would never tick that box will be ticking it purely because of brexit and nothing else. I'm just shocked at reading comments from the Doncaster area where Ed Miliband could lose, I don't think labour ever loses there, but from the comments he could.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Yes, it does look like Labour could lose a lot of seats, if what I am seeing and reading is true. Lots of disaffected Labour supporters who don't like Corbyn, support Brexit and in the past may have voted UKIP as a protest, might be thinking about voting Conservative this time. If that's true then Labour could be decimated, a pretty unprecedented thing after 7 years of being in opposition.

The problem is that in Scotland we have other concerns though. As I say it's really only Tory or SNP in many ways, and if you are in favour of remaining part of the UK there is only one choice. It's Hobson's Choice, however, so it's a bit of a quandary.

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Do you think the SNP will lose many seats from the people you talk to? In the papers they don't seem too worried, but she doesn't seem as liked as she thinks she is.

0 Not allowed!

The Unseen Hero
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 32
    Canada

I love how everyone seems to be so scared of Jeremy Corbyn. Its ridiculous.

0 Not allowed!
    Orbis non sufficit

13 medium - Snap General Election

'I'd sit alone and watch your light,
    My only friend through teenage nights,
    And everything I had to know, I heard it on my radio'

Today's Posts New Posts