Poll: UK to remain or leave?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: EU referendum?

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,261
    Given: 2,967

Default Re: EU referendum?

Has anybody else noticed there seems to be a high proportion of uneducated people that seem to be voting out? I'm not saying people are uneducated if they want to vote out, just the ones voicing their opinion aren't doing that side any favours. Where I grew up, they'll all be voting out, I can't help but roll my eyes when they mention the reasons for it. All they seem to talk about is immigrants taking their jobs, housing, NHS, while they're at the back of the queue for it all. They're coming across as a bunch of racists.

2 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,258
    Given: 2,303
    Scotland

Yes, my impression is that they moan about people taking their jobs but they are the least likely to be going out trying to get one in the first place. I'm also forever hearing people say things like "you have to persuade me to vote to stay", or "you (the politicians) have to give me the reasons to vote one way or the other". This guy on the debate on TV last night ranted at the politicians and said "it's your fault that so many of us have not made up our minds which way to vote". Well sure, they can give us as much information as they can, which is difficult because much if it is admittedly conjecture, but if people got off their behinds and did some research themselves instead of being lazy and ignorant, they might have a better idea of which way to vote. I also think a lot of them expect some kind of promise of a payout or something, a sweetener, to help them decide. There has to be some sort of crock of gold at the end of the rainbow or something, I don't know, but most of them can't see beyond their own back yard.

1 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 1,778
    Great Britain

I think it's fair to say it's mostly racists or xenophobes who want to leave the EU. They try to dress it up, but it boils down to not liking foreign people.

2 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    I think it's fair to say it's mostly racists or xenophobes who want to leave the EU. They try to dress it up, but it boils down to not liking foreign people.
    It does look that way.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,583
    Given: 2,353
    England

Most people I know say they are voting out, they say it's because they don't like the EU imposing daft things on us. I blame the papers for that, not just now on the run up, but for years they've made big deals about straight bananas and other potty rules.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,258
    Given: 2,303
    Scotland

Yes, most of that was just nonsense trumped up by the media. There are far more important things that the EU does do for us. There are things like the Working Time Directive, which is seen by some as hampering progress and business, but it's there as a safety net to prevent workers being expected to work ridiculous hours if they don't want to. There are many things like this that benefit people like workers, who might not get such protection out of the EU.

1 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 1,778
    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post
    Most people I know say they are voting out, they say it's because they don't like the EU imposing daft things on us. I blame the papers for that, not just now on the run up, but for years they've made big deals about straight bananas and other potty rules.
    They say that's why they're voting out, but it's really because they're racists.

3 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

How's it looking from there? Does is sound like most people are wanting out or in?

I've not read much, but what I have seems to all be coming from people who want out. I get the impression they think whoever shouts the loudest will win though, not once have I seen people talking in capitals with VOTE IN in their sentence, but there's a lot of capital VOTE OUTs about.

1 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,583
    Given: 2,353
    England

haha That made me laugh

The polls are still reporting it being close, just a few percentage in it.

On a people that I know level, they're either openly saying they'll vote out (and yup, they're very passionate about it ) or they're staying completely quiet.

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I wonder how close it really is, aren't those polls usually way off?

Some of the ones who are voting out do seem more passionate.

1 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts