Poll: You're expecting guests, but your house smells. What do you do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: You're expecting guests...

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,293
    Given: 2,325
    Scotland

Default Re: You're expecting guests...

So were they just going to go in and leave you outside for the duration?

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,292
    Given: 2,997

I don't think I've explained it too well. We all stayed outside, even them. They were on their way to work after meeting us, so they just put the dogs in and got straight into the car as we were leaving. We were all stood there for about half an hour, freezing. Well all of us apart from the dog in the blanket.

It was just strange and I didn't expect it, I've never once been invited to stand outside someone's house before. To be fair they were moving house and said there was hardly anything in there because it was being moved to the other place. Even so, it was shelter from the cold wind.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,293
    Given: 2,325
    Scotland

OK, I'm still a little confused. The title of the poll led me to believe that you had been invited to their house for, say, an evening meal but when you got there you didn't get into the house. Now it seems like you met up earlier (for a meal/drink/social occasion?) and were invited back to the house "to see the dogs". I suppose I would have expected to be invited in in that case but on the other hand they did let you see the dogs. I just find it strange not so much that they didn't let you into the house but that they invited you back in the first place when they didn't intend letting you into the house (plus they were going out to work afterwards!). I'm not sure why anyone would do that. So, the circumstances are a little strange but yes I would have assumed that if I was asked back to see/meet the dogs that it would include going into the house. Another thing that is puzzling me - was the plan all along that you would be going back to the house, or was this a spur of the moment decision during the social occasion that you had met up for?

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I thought it was planned, I'd never in a million years think I'd get an invite to stand on the street near someone's house.

Well before it was even arranged I'd had an invite to come and see their house if I was ever over, this was before they got the dogs, so I was going off that offer. Originally we were supposed to be going out for an evening meal, either seeing the dogs beforehand or after, but that changed closer the time. Rather than them getting time off work, they suggested breakfast instead. They don't start work until lunchtime, so 'come back to our house so you can see the dogs after', was mentioned. The state of the house was mentioned a few times during breakfast, but I didn't say anything, I must've missed the hint that we'd be staying outside though. Like I said before 'excuse the mess' doesn't usually mean 'it's too messy to have you in, so you'll have to wait outside.

If I invited someone over, it'd be a given they'd be getting in. There's a lot of things that are just assumed, like when they ask if they can visit me. They don't mention coming in the house, or even sleeping in it, so imagine how they'd feel if they got here and I made them wait on the street. No bed, no nothing, just because I'd not tidied up.

0 Not allowed!

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    I thought it was planned, I'd never in a million years think I'd get an invite to stand on the street near someone's house.

Well before it was even arranged I'd had an invite to come and see their house if I was ever over, this was before they got the dogs, so I was going off that offer. Originally we were supposed to be going out for an evening meal, either seeing the dogs beforehand or after, but that changed closer the time. Rather than them getting time off work, they suggested breakfast instead. They don't start work until lunchtime, so 'come back to our house so you can see the dogs after', was mentioned. The state of the house was mentioned a few times during breakfast, but I didn't say anything, I must've missed the hint that we'd be staying outside though. Like I said before 'excuse the mess' doesn't usually mean 'it's too messy to have you in, so you'll have to wait outside.

If I invited someone over, it'd be a given they'd be getting in. There's a lot of things that are just assumed, like when they ask if they can visit me. They don't mention coming in the house, or even sleeping in it, so imagine how they'd feel if they got here and I made them wait on the street. No bed, no nothing, just because I'd not tidied up.
    People are strange that's for sure, i have a neighbour that visits from time to time and the 2nd thing i say after hiya is would you like a cuppa, i puts the kettle on and put an ashtray in front of her as she knows she can smoke in mine yet i could go to hers for 2 to 3 hours and i never get asked if i want a cuppa. Very rude.

Thing is i am kind to her, when there is anything on the tele about Madeleine McCann i record it for her and let her watch it in my house, i print stuff off the web for her about the McCanns so she knows what is going on. Heck i printed off the banned book that Mr Amaral wrote for her (think cost of the ink) and i dont get offered a cuppa like i said people are strange.

0 Not allowed!

Neddie Seagoon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 4

it might be they just don't like you but can't tell you

1 Not allowed!
    kiddie playdate girlsgogames com - You're expecting guests...

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    People are strange that's for sure, i have a neighbour that visits from time to time and the 2nd thing i say after hiya is would you like a cuppa, i puts the kettle on and put an ashtray in front of her as she knows she can smoke in mine yet i could go to hers for 2 to 3 hours and i never get asked if i want a cuppa. Very rude.

Thing is i am kind to her, when there is anything on the tele about Madeleine McCann i record it for her and let her watch it in my house, i print stuff off the web for her about the McCanns so she knows what is going on. Heck i printed off the banned book that Mr Amaral wrote for her (think cost of the ink) and i dont get offered a cuppa like i said people are strange.
    It's the first thing that most people usually do when you go round. When I was younger I never offered, I didn't drink hot drinks so it never crossed my mind. I'd end up feeling awful when they had to ask. Obviously she does though, so she's got no excuse, she's just being rude.

My mum used to only buy really cheap tea and coffee, so most people who popped round to her house would bring their own. I'm not sure whether that's rude or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Rants View Post
    it might be they just don't like you but can't tell you

They like me enough to want free holidays.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts