Thread: Paris

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,487
    Given: 2,585
    Scotland

Default Paris

Terrible news from Paris tonight. It's a special place for us. We've been there three times (OH four) and it was where we had our honeymoon. Our thoughts are with Paris and Parisians tonight.

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,526
    Given: 3,199

Default Re: Paris

It's scary stuff.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 304
    Burkina Faso

It's absolutely awful

They are saying over 100 dead at the Bataclan theatre

Such cowardly attacks

It's really saddening

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

What else next?
    Tines are getting strange

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Yes, sadly there will be more of this to come.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Burkina Faso

I see Farage and his supporters are using this to support their pathetic arguments to control the borders

Absolute toads

How about thinking about all the people who have lost their lives, their friends, their families and those seriously injured?

It makes me so angry

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Me too.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 14
    Bhutan

I suppose some might say that spending time thinking about people doesn't really do anything constructive. Some people do like to take time to think and reflect about victims, others (myself included) like to assess and attempt to take any actions that could possibly help or even stop future incidents. One's not better than the other, it's just us living in a diverse society where people think about things in different ways.

I'm not a fan of Farage and his ideas or policies, however I do think that he truly believes in them and he really does think that lives would be saved with more border control. I happen to disagree with him but in his position, actually believing what he believes, I'd probably be doing the same because for me it's more important for me to be practical than it is to be emotional. So yeah, I'll slag off Farage for his policies but I actually have no problem with someone, even if they are misguided and I disagree with them, actually doing what they think will help protect people.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Burkina Faso

Someone has put it much better than I can

On Friday night, more than a hundred innocent civilians were mercilessly killed in their own capital. Paris faced coordinated shootings and bomb attacks. They were inexcusable, inhumane, and indiscriminate. We all know this. We all feel this.

But as is familiar with every terrorist attack by now, a Circus ensues. Tim Montgomerie and similar political pundits, before the blood of the victims had even dried, immediately declared that "we are at war". The chorus that followed blamed Muslims, refugees, immigrants, and anything in between for these attacks. This is Act One of the Circus.

Muslims and other members of the public then respond to Act One, pointing out that it is unfair to generalise the actions of so few, on to so many. And that, in fact, Muslims themselves are the biggest victims of this kind of terrorism. For example, on Thursday, dozens of Muslims were killed in a similar terror attack in Lebanon. This is Act Two.

Act One and Act Two continue to interact. Meanwhile, anti-Muslim sentiment drastically rises. Racist or discriminatory attacks follow, particularly against Muslim women. Perpetrators fail to realise that they are targeting innocent people, the very same way terrorism does.

As a result, a friction emerges within communities. This friction acts as a catalyst for extremism. Put simply, the more alienated Muslims are within Western society, the easier they become recruitment targets for groups like ISIS. The narrative of "You do not fit it, they do not want you here" will be easier to embed, because it is suddenly repeated by all sides of the discourse.

And the cycle rages on.

What makes this worse, is that it happens every time. After the first dozen times, you would expect that a comprehensive strategy of avoiding political statements and instead expressing solidarity and empathy within communities would have taken hold. This would counteract the poisonous repercussions (beyond civilian casualties) of such terrorist acts - it would avoid some of the confusion and terror.

But no, for a loud minority, the opportunity to capitalise on horror and massacres, to reinforce prejudice and hatred, is too difficult to ignore. It simply has to happen. For them, the Circus must commence.

1 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

The "We are at War" one gets me a bit. We have been up to now, but with I. S., not ordinary Muslims. I'm not sure why this has come as a surprise to some them as well, it has been coming a long time, in fact I was surprised that it had not happened already. There will be more to come as well. And feelings against Muslims escalate, but we also see things going the other way as well, with some people empathising with Muslims, as has been happening today. So, it's a case of keeping our heads about us I reckon, but the media sure don't help sometimes.

1 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts