Thread: Foreigners in Schools

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,180
    Given: 2,859

Default Foreigners in Schools

A good thing, or a bad thing? Do you think mixing nationalities in schools makes kids grow up less or more xenophobic? I'm meaning more if they don't speak the language and could possibly hold other kids back.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 304
    Burkina Faso

Default Re: Foreigners in Schools

I'd like to think it was a good thing, children mixing with other nationalities and cultures

Children can be cruel though and pick on someone who's different, so if it was a good mix it could be a good thing. If there was one child from a certain country, I'm sure someone would pick on them

A lot of it would depend if the parents were arseholes too

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I think a lot of it does come directly from the parents. If parents are upset that they think too many foreigners are holding classes back, I'm sure they'd be ranting about it at home where their kids could hear.

I only had white British people in my classes, so I didn't grow up mixing with any other nationality. I think within the whole school there was one Chinese family from the local takeaway, but none were in any of my classes.

Here the schools are bilingual, so half the lessons are in English and half in Maltese. They're finding it hard to educate all the different nationalities because some kids don't speak English or Maltese, so from this year they're taking them all out of the schools for up to a year to concentrate purely on English. They'll be tested every couple of months and when they're ready they'll be put back. I bet that's got something to do with the Maltese not being happy about the amount of foreigners holding their kids back. They have been trying to keep them in classes with extra language lessons, but they've found it hard because of all the different nationalities, so kids have ended up with neither language and just a garble of the two.

It sounds like a good idea at first, but thinking about it that means that it's really mainly Maltese and British kids in the schools, at least in the early years, so I'm curious what will happen when the other foreigners come back and if they'll integrate.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,149
    Given: 2,205
    Scotland

I remember a Portuguese kid joining our year and he spoke no English whatsoever. He did get some stick but initially it didn't matter as he didn't understand what they were saying. Eventually though, due to pure necessity and having been thrown in at the deep end, he learned English and he became part of our group of friends. I don't remember him holding back any classes, he just had to adapt as quick as possible and he did just that. I only remember having huge admiration for him and his adaptability.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    I remember a Portuguese kid joining our year and he spoke no English whatsoever. He did get some stick but initially it didn't matter as he didn't understand what they were saying. Eventually though, due to pure necessity and having been thrown in at the deep end, he learned English and he became part of our group of friends. I don't remember him holding back any classes, he just had to adapt as quick as possible and he did just that. I only remember having huge admiration for him and his adaptability.
    Yeah, that's what happened with my son. Although he was only five, so it was the first school year and with it only being one foreigner it didn't hold the class back.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts