Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever...

Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 166

Default Do you ever...

Use a knife and fork to eat your food? Or using your fingers?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 304
    Burkina Faso

Default Re: Do you ever...

Not if I'm eating soup

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,259
    Given: 2,965

Knife and fork most of the time.

My dad used to eat his Sunday dinner with his fingers though. We ate off our knees growing up, so had to bring our own plate into the front room from the kitchen. It was a case of last one back into the front room had the middle seat on the couch with no arm room. He'd sit down without a knife and fork loads of time rushing for the best chair near the fire, so he'd eat it with his fingers rather than lose the chair.

Soup, he'd just drink straight from the bowl. He's never been very civilised.

3 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 304
    Burkina Faso

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Any more?

What do you mean about the middle seat with no arm room?

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBBC View Post

Any more?

What do you mean about the middle seat with no arm room?
    The middle seat on a settee meant you were hitting elbows with the people either side of you while you were trying to eat, so not the best seat to have.

My mum would shout 'dinner' and we'd all run and push to try to be the first in the kitchen, my dad included, so we didn't end up coming back to the middle seat. The best seat was by the fire, so that was always the aim. My mum usually got that though because she'd be holding her plate running into the front room while shouting dinner most of the time, so she had a head start. I remember once she's forgotten her knife and fork, so put her dinner on the chair to save it, but one of my sisters didn't realise and just saw the chair free and ran and sat in it, straight on top of my mum's dinner.

Sometimes we'd try to second guess when she was going to shout dinner by standing with one eye around the door frame into the kitchen, just to get a head start, but my mum would shout at us if she saw us.

2 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    The middle seat on a settee meant you were hitting elbows with the people either side of you while you were trying to eat, so not the best seat to have.

My mum would shout 'dinner' and we'd all run and push to try to be the first in the kitchen, my dad included, so we didn't end up coming back to the middle seat. The best seat was by the fire, so that was always the aim. My mum usually got that though because she'd be holding her plate running into the front room while shouting dinner most of the time, so she had a head start. I remember once she's forgotten her knife and fork, so put her dinner on the chair to save it, but one of my sisters didn't realise and just saw the chair free and ran and sat in it, straight on top of my mum's dinner.

Sometimes we'd try to second guess when she was going to shout dinner by standing with one eye around the door frame into the kitchen, just to get a head start, but my mum would shout at us if she saw us.
    How often you got the middle seat, what was it like eating dinner without having an armrest?

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

How often you got the middle seat, what was it like eating dinner without having an armrest?
    I never got the middle seat, it was nearly always my dad or my oldest sister. There would be arguments if it was my dad and nobody would move for him, so he'd make sure the two at either side suffered by eating with both his elbows up and out.

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    I never got the middle seat, it was nearly always my dad or my oldest sister. There would be arguments if it was my dad and nobody would move for him, so he'd make sure the two at either side suffered by eating with both his elbows up and out.
    I'd eat on the floor instead

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I'd eat on the floor instead
    That's what I started doing when I got older. When we started dating, it was only polite to let the guest have a seat. They didn't know the routine, so without fail they'd end up in the middle seat and have this smug face staring at them.

holiday002 - Do you ever...

2 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts