Thread: Timey's Photography Thread

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 2,238
    Scotland

Default Timey's Photography Thread

OK, following my discussion with Breezy on the other thread about photography, I will post pics here and discuss the settings when I took them. These first pics show how depth of field works. They are not the best pics and I will post better ones when I can, but these do show some of the effects you can get. It was a pin though because I was getting some good pics when it suddenly got dark and the rain came on, spoiling my efforts. Anyway, let's get started.

So, just to explain, the camera I have is a Panasonic Lumix G1, which is a "Micro Four Thirds" (sometimes abbreviated to M4/3) format, which is like an SLR, except that it has not mirror, allowing it to be smaller. An SLR has a mirror so that you can see what can be seen through the lens, and this mirror has to move out of the way in order to take the picture. An M4/3 camera uses an electronic viewfinder instead, which is quite good because it allows you to see the effect of changes to the settings in the viewfinder.

Anyway, for these pics I replaced the standard lens on my camera with an old one from my Olympus OM-1 SLR, using an adapter. The lens is a 50mm prime (fixed focal length) lens with aperture up to F/1.4, which is quite high (note, F-numbers are actually fractions so F/1.4 is higher than F/5.6, for example), and therefore gives a very narrow depth of field (my M4/3 lens only goes up to F/3.5).

In this first picture, I used the maximum aperture of F/1.4 and an ISO of 100 (slow film but sharper picture). The camera chose the shutter speed, which was 1/800th of a second. I focused on the white flowers in the foreground, and you can see that the background is completely out of focus.

G1508245 - Timey's Photography Thread

In the next image I used the same settings but focused on the background. In this case the flowers are out of focus. The camera chose a shutter speed of 1/1300th of a second.

G1508246 - Timey's Photography Thread

In the last image I "stopped down" the aperture to a narrow one of F/16. Because this lets in less light I had to increase the ISO to a faster setting of 400, and the camera also had to slow down the shutter speed to 1/80th of a second. However, the whole image is largely in focus, although this has not been entirely successful partly because it was very windy and also the dark cloud was coming over. It would have been better to have a faster shutter speed and less camera shake, but that was down to the conditions. But it does show that the depth of field is much deeper than in the first two images.

G1508249 - Timey's Photography Thread

3 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Default Re: Timey's Photography Thread

Here's a pic I took last week with the normal lens on my camera, which is a 14-45mm zoom lens (equivalent to 28-90mm lens on a normal camera). The blur in the background is not as blurred as it could be (with the 50mm lens I could get it more blurred, but I had not found that lens at the time I took the photo). This was taken at F/5.6 and maximum zoom, which narrows the depth of field so that I could focus on the flowers and not the background. I will try at some point to get a similar picture at F/1.4 on the old lens to show the difference.

G1507075 - Timey's Photography Thread

3 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,206
    Given: 2,898

My camera is about four years old, so it'll be a bit outdated now. It's pointless getting anything else unless I learn how to take proper photos because it does the job, almost, at the moment. It's not an SLR, it's only a canon powershot sx220 and I cheat by using the preset modes.

It's okay for most photos using those, but I struggle getting low light and night scene ones with any of the preset ones. I can manually adjust them though, but I don't have a clue what they do. Obviously my camera is not going to be as good as one where you can change the lens, but I've just had a look and the aperture setting can adjust from F3.1 - F8 and the shutter speed says '15" 1/3200'.

I'll have a mess about with it tomorrow, but I usually just use the macro setting if I want a bit of blur. Are you any good at night photos? Would you need to adjust both the aperture and the shutter speed, or just one of them?

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

My camera's 6 years old and it's still relevant. In fact, any camera is still relevant. I still have my old SLR and if I could be bothered I could get film and start doing it the old-fashioned way again. Lots of people do.

OK, so that's quite a narrow range of apertures as many go above F/3.1 and most go down at least to F/16 or F/22. The slowest shutter speed is 15 seconds, which is good for most people's uses and 1/3200th of a second is pretty fast.

For night shots a slower shutter speed is better but then you need a tripod to get decent shots (anything slower than 1/60). You could speed up the shutter but then you would have to open the aperture as wide as it can go, i. e. F/3.1, but this could have other unwanted effects such as narrow depth of field (so you'd get some stuff out of focus but it would be OK for more distant objects like buildings etc).

1 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I usually hold the camera on a wall or something and hold my breath.

Thanks, I'll have a mess about with the shutter speed tomorrow to see if that helps. You'll have to post some of your night shots using a better camera than mine.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

I'll give it a go. I might have some old ones that I can post as well so I'll have a dig through them for something suitable.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I've just taken a few photos out of the window to test the shutter speed out.

Here's the fastest shutter speed I could manage where you could see something more than just black with a couple of light dots.

IMG 2884 zpslshakkwc - Timey's Photography Thread

.. and the slowest shutter speed.

IMG 2888 zpsxsk279ag - Timey's Photography Thread

.. and the night scene preset mode.

IMG 2879 zps50teoxxi - Timey's Photography Thread

I can't work out what speed that is, but I didn't wait half as long for it and they look very similar.

Does it make a massive difference if there's fireworks going off? While I was twiddling my thumbs while it was taking a photo on the slowest shutter speed, a couple of fireworks went off and this was the result.

IMG 2898 zps0tbhkhzy - Timey's Photography Thread

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

No, it shouldn't make a difference with that sort of light from the streetlights and they are out of the viewfinder. If anything they would make the picture darker if they were bright but that last picture looks very bright. In fact, the picture on automatic settings seems brighter than the one with the slowest shutter speed, which seems strange, but there could be another setting that was different. If it is a digital camera you should be able to find out the settings that were used as that is usually saved with the photo. You can usually find that either in the camera itself, or in whatever photo management application you are using (if you are using one) or in Windows itself (on my Mac there is an option "View Info" that shows it).

That last picture is very interesting, not just for the fireworks but for the vehicle (a motorbike?) that went past as it was being taken.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    That last picture is very interesting, not just for the fireworks but for the vehicle (a motorbike) that went past as it was being taken.
    Yeah, I noticed that just after I posted it. I don't remember seeing a motorbike, but I think I saw a car. It could've had a light out though.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that just after I posted it. I don't remember seeing a motorbike, but I think I saw a car. It could've had a light out though.
    Ah that could be what it was.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts