Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moving out and becoming an adult.

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,292
    Given: 2,997

Default Moving out and becoming an adult.

How much financial help did you get from your parents after you moved out and became an adult and when did it stop?

I got some help but just with the basics like if I couldn't afford food, I didn't get help with any kind of luxury.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,603
    Given: 2,389
    England

Default Re: Moving out and becoming an adult.

My first house I got no financial help at all... But, my dad did help out loads with DIY, including stuff like fitting a kitchen and my mum made me all new curtains and reupholstered a sofa and loads of stuff like that.

I wasn't loaded, I had a junior civil servant salary and I lived on my own but I managed by getting a 2nd job and by working overtime. I also sold my car and bought a pushbike. I remember some months I was so skint towards the end that I made a tin of peas and a loaf of bread last two days.

My second house was derelict when I bought it, I didn't get any cash help but they did remortgage their house so it could be bought as a cash buy so even though it didn't cost them anything (I paid all the repayments) it was still a biggy. Again dad helped out loads, every night and every weekend for 6 months until it was fit to live in. Again I relied on overtime to help out but fortunately I was able to work from home a lot this time so I didn't have to worry about leaving my lad anywhere.

Then, we got this house, probably the best off i've been. Two good wages coming in, a stash, the lad was going off to uni so no longer dependent (as such) but this time my mum has given us cash hand over fist. Makes no sense but i'm not complaining

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 751
    Given: 1,793
    Great Britain

I don't remember getting any help.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,294
    Given: 2,326
    Scotland

Absolutely zilch.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post
    My first house I got no financial help at all... But, my dad did help out loads with DIY, including stuff like fitting a kitchen and my mum made me all new curtains and reupholstered a sofa and loads of stuff like that.

I wasn't loaded, I had a junior civil servant salary and I lived on my own but I managed by getting a 2nd job and by working overtime. I also sold my car and bought a pushbike. I remember some months I was so skint towards the end that I made a tin of peas and a loaf of bread last two days.

My second house was derelict when I bought it, I didn't get any cash help but they did remortgage their house so it could be bought as a cash buy so even though it didn't cost them anything (I paid all the repayments) it was still a biggy. Again dad helped out loads, every night and every weekend for 6 months until it was fit to live in. Again I relied on overtime to help out but fortunately I was able to work from home a lot this time so I didn't have to worry about leaving my lad anywhere.

Then, we got this house, probably the best off i've been. Two good wages coming in, a stash, the lad was going off to uni so no longer dependent (as such) but this time my mum has given us cash hand over fist. Makes no sense but i'm not complaining
    Ah, they sound good. I have never received any financial help from my parents and probably never will. They didn't even help out when I was at college the first time round.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

It looks like none of us got much help. I don't think my daughter is coping too well being an adult, but it's hard helping her out financially because she'll never learn if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post

Yeah, that's the same with us. My husband's dad phoned up the other day and casually said, 'I've put some money in your bank that I had laying around'. It's lovely of him, so we've just put it away for if we ever do need it. He's done it a couple of times, but always when we've been okay. I think this time was maybe something to do with me being in hospital, he'll want to help out in some way.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 304
    Burkina Faso

Dad nothing, mum helps me out by buying bits and bobs

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

When I first moved out my ex's mum used to buy us things we didn't need when we were skint, then ask for the money for them weeks later. Once she came with a old mans leather wallet and said 'I've got you this because you need one'. My ex being polite and not wanting to offend her said cheers and put it in a cupboard. Weeks later she came asking for the money for it, so then not only were we skint, but we had a wallet that he'd never use. She did it with loads of things.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

That's weird.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up

I know. One day she came round and said she'd bought us a wooden curtain pole and to go and pick it up from the shop. I didn't need a curtain pole, but she wanted us to have a wooden one. I went to the shop to pick it up and the person there made a point of how lovely she was buying stuff for us. Later that day she was round telling us to pay her back when we could. I'm sure it was the most expensive pole she could find, not the kind of price we could afford at the time.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts