Thread: Nova Scotia 2015

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,294
    Given: 2,328
    Scotland

Default Nova Scotia 2015

So, we've been here for three days now and it has been a mixed bag of fortunes. We arrived on Sunday, a little exhausted, but checked in to our little suite (most of the rooms here seem to have more than one room, some with two beds and others with a sitting area as well as the bedroom) and had a nice meal on the first evening. I had shrimps with garlic, herbs and cheese followed by steak and blue cheese sauce. OH had scallops in bacon followed by chicken and pork ribs. Very nice, but expensive. It came to $122, which is about 65 or so. The problem here is that they have a 15% sales tax but it is never quoted with the prices like VAT is in the UK, so everything actually costs more than it seems. Plus, anywhere with service expects at least a 15% tip, so you are talking an extra third onto the price of stuff. Anyway, it was nice all the same.

Monday was spent walking around Halifax, visiting places such as the Museum of the Atlantic and the provincial legislature, where we saw the Nova Scotia parliament actually in session. It was good exercise as Halifax is quite hilly, but it has had its downsides. Apart from my general lack of fitness, I have a dodgy left knee and it seemed to become inflamed and swell up slightly, so by Tuesday following a day of travelling I could hardly walk. However, some Ibuprofen and a night's sleep seems to have sorted it, but it means I have to watch how much walking I do, which is a bit restrictive.

Anyway, Tuesday was not so good as Monday. Firstly it was wet and misty. Then we had a problem with the hire car, as we had booked a Compact, i. e. Astra or Focus size, but they gave us a Nissan fucking Micra! When we complained they said they had no other cars left (it was a busy day and a cruise ship was in and people were grabbing the cars for a day out) so we had to accept it. However the car was so cramped I could not straighten my leg and I think this contributed to my knee problem. So we stopped at a town on the way and went into a branch of the rental firm to sort it out. As luck would have it there were a couple of women wanting a smaller car so they got ours and we got a larger one. They said we might have to pay for the upgrade though but this has since been sorted out and it will be free as we had been given the wrong class in the first place.

Finally we got to Digby, so with the weather, the car problems and my knee we weren't feeling too great. Today, however, has been better. The weather has been variable but it is now gloriously sunny and my knee feels better, so we have been out and about. It is pretty cold though, very much like Aberdeen actually. It is very variable too, on Sunday when we arrived in Halifax it was 25 degrees but the next day it was 12.

I have been taking photos and will post some later when I get more time.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,293
    Given: 2,998

Default Re: Nova Scotia 2015

It's a shame about your knee, hope it holds up and doesn't stop you doing things.

That meal sounds delicious. Don't forget the food pictures!

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

OK. I posted the pancakes and maple syrup breakfast on Facebook and I will post others as soon as I can. Earl would hate it here though as pretty much every time you order something you get half a dozen questions back, mainly for stuff in the UK that you just order and get. If you order a burger it's what toppings do you want, what sort of bun, sauce, relish etc. It can be very confusing for those of us not used to this.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

So, we are back. We finally got home yesterday evening at about 6pm. The flight from Canada was quick, at about 5 and a half hours, but we already had a 5 and a half hour layover at Heathrow, so getting there early didn't help much. Then the last leg up to Aberdeen at 15:25. Went to bed as soon as we got home, but I only slept for about 4 hours, and watched telly for a couple of hours until around midnight, when the OH woke up too. We were hungry so we went to ASDA and got a couple of curries with naan bread etc, and got back to bed at about 3am for another sleep up to about 11am this morning. Still feel tired though so it will be a couple of days before we are properly acclimatised.

I will add some more stuff about the holiday, plus some pics, including the all-important foody ones, as soon as I can.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

This was our itinerary, with the stayovers marked from A to F.

Nova Scotia Itinerary - Nova Scotia 2015

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,293
    Given: 2,998

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    We were hungry so we went to ASDA and got a couple of curries with naan bread etc, and got back to bed at about 3am for another sleep up to about 11am this morning.
    That sounds heaven. I used to love random trips to the supermarket in the middle of the night and eating food in the early hours of the morning, then going back to bed. Once I started cooking a Sunday dinner at one in the morning, up until then it was just the odd cheese and pickle sandwich. In France you were lucky to find a shop open after 8pm, so that fun soon stopped when we moved there.

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    I will add some more stuff about the holiday, plus some pics, including the all-important foody ones, as soon as I can.
    Yeah, lots of foodie pics please!

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Food pics from the first night:

Shrimps with cheese and garlic:
    IMG_20150510_233402925_HDR.jpg

Steak with blue cheese sauce:
    IMG_20150510_235115327.jpg

Chicken and ribs:
    IMG_20150510_235121115.jpg

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    That sounds heaven. I used to love random trips to the supermarket in the middle of the night and eating food in the early hours of the morning, then going back to bed.
    Yeah, there is something about doing that, I'm not sure what it is. For me it represents a kind of freedom from the usual routine.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

On the Wednesday we pottered around the Digby area. The weather wasn't great so there wasn't much we could do apart from having some fish and chips in Digby and visiting the car hire place there as the second car we were given was making a hell of a rumbling noise as we were driving it. It turned out to be the winter tyres, which were still on the car (they had had a very bad winter and a lot of the cars still had winter tyres on), which wasn't really a major issue but for long journeys the rumbling could be quite annoying, so they said they would fix us up with another car if they could. The next day we stopped off at New Minas (where we picked up the second car) and it turned out that they had another car waiting for us. It was another Nissan Altima, a white one this time. This was classed as a "full size" and we were given it at no extra charge due to the problems with the previous cars, and it was a lovely car to drive.

Next stop was Antigonish for one night at a small motel type of place, and then on to Ingonish for two nights. At Ingonish we had a cabin/chalet type place, with a small living room with sofa-bed, TV and small kitchen area, a bedroom and a bathroom.

We were here for two nights, and on the first night I was violently sick, We still don't know what caused it as it could have been any of a number of meals we had had, or water or just different bugs, although I have never had this anywhere before which is why I think it has to be something specific in the food or the water. Anyway, I stayed off drinking any tap water after that, although it was difficult as, like here, they put ice in all the drinks.

While at Ingonish we drove the Cabot Trail, which goes around the top of Cape Breton Island, giving views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of St Lawrence. There was still a lot of snow lying about up there, especially in the higher areas where some of the snow at the sides of the road were about four or five feet deep.

The new hire car:
    1505G-10334.JPG

Cabin and views from the front:
    1505G-10362.JPG
    1505G-10367.JPG
    1505G-10366.JPG
    1505G-10365.JPG

Views on the Cabot Trail:
    1505G-10378.JPG
    1505G-10376.JPG
    1505G-10355.JPG
    1505G-10354.JPG
    1505G-10379.JPG

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

After Ingonish we travelled on to Sydney. The hotel room here was great. It had a main sitting area with TV, sofa-bed, desk, TV, sink microwave and fridge. There was also a bedroom with king-sized bed, with a sink and washing up area adjoining it, and a separate room with the toilet and bath/shower. Overall it was twice the size of the room in the same chain of hotels in Halifax.

We had a nice meal in the restaurant that night. Here are the main dishes:

Bruschetta with cheese and balsamic vinegar (there were four but we had eaten two of them already):
    IMG_20150517_190246.jpg

Maple glazed salmon and roast potatoes:
    IMG_20150517_192533.jpg

Barbecue chicken with slaw and chips:
    IMG_20150517_192540.jpg

Chocolate brownie cake with cream:
    IMG_20150517_195800.jpg

Bread pudding with caramel sauce and ice cream:
    IMG_20150517_195805.jpg

We finished up with liqueur coffee to round it off nicely.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts