Thread: Afghan films - some reviews

Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 14
    Bhutan

Default Afghan films - some reviews

So I've been watching a fair bit of Afghan cinema recently and it's great fun. I'm gonna try and do a quick overview of each, with links to the films on YouTube.

First we have Anjaam (The End).

This is the story of two brothers, sons to a cripple who comes to a sticky end early on in the film when they're just young kids so their mother takes them to her brother (a bit of a crook) and they grow up in his house. The elder one (Rostum) becomes a criminal working for the uncle and the younger (Jawed) grows up to be a cop.

We see a a bit of killing from Rostum on behalf of his uncle and a bit of Jawed's police work, we also see how well they get on as brothers, it's heartwarming shit this. Then obviously they both need a love interest, Jawed meets his, who looks about 15, in a shopping centre, Rostum's is his slightly chubby cousin who is on a visit.

More killing and it starts to come to a head with Rostum doing worse things and Jawed having to investigate.

The love stories continue and then things get fun when a bunch of Pakistanis get Rostum's uncle to get Rostum to help them do a suicide bombing in Kabul. Rostum can't do it and eventually gets dobbed in by one of the lads who was there. Uncle goes mental and dobs Rostum in for being a crim, his brother finds out and then it all goes to shit when their mum dies a proper comedy death of a broken heart.

I won't spoil the ending for you but it's explosive.

Highlights that I can remember.

- Two blokes trying to pick up the mother for a shag as she's begging at the side of the street with her kids. It's not subtitled but the bloke says she has fingers like rhubarb, which is a sexy thing over there apparently. (08:32 in the video)
    - The uncle thinking to himself about how he can use the children, while he's sat there stroking a chicken. (10:51)
    - All of the fight and killing scenes, they're truly amazing.
    - Jawed limbering up and doing kung fu exercises in the park (about 21:30)
    - Jawed's birthday disco (1:10:30)
    - The mother passing out in the car (1:23:50)
    - The mother dying after reading a newspaper (1:30:08)

There's just so much good stuff in this, if I had time to rewatch it again to get all the fun scenes I would.

So here it is, it has okay English subtitles, a few dodgy spellings and translations here and there but it's fine to watch.

Watch it, it's fooking ace!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Bhutan

Default Re: Afghan films - some reviews

Next up we have Asheyanah (Nest).

This is the story all about our hero Mayhan's trip from London To Kabul to meet his betrothed. Here he learns all about his homeland and their love of sending their girls abroad because it's a better life there. Unfortunately his betrothed doesn't want him, she wants a big strong fella named Fardin and he loves her too. Never fear, she's got a downtrodded but well fit step-sister named Nargis and she's very single indeed but gets shit from cunts when she's in the street.

Comedy relief comes from the taxi driver who picks up Meyhan from the airport and stays around for the whole film, he's got his eye on a girl too, her name is Layla.

You think the film is gonna all be about the love shit but it gets going about halfway in when Meyhan finds out a family secret, that leads to some proper comedy fighting (it's like fighting in old video games like Tekken, worth watching just for that!) but there's also murder, love and intrigue. Also, one of the bad guys is the guy who plays the uncle in the previous film.

The main point of the film I think is for Meyhan to realise that the homeland is simply amazing and the place to be.

Another corker, you should watch it. Full film here on YouTube.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Bhutan

Default Re: Afghan films - some reviews

Buddha Collapsed Out Of Shame

Here we have a film I really enjoyed and has a bit of a message about the state of life in Afghanistan rather than being just a bit funny.

Buddha Collapsed out of Shame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The film follows a little girl named Bakhtay from Bamyan (where the Taliban destroyed those massive Buddha statues years ago) and is basically the story of her day one day when she decides she wants to go to school. It one that really gets you thinking about the lives of these poor fuckers and the girl is brilliant in it.

Film - https://vimeo.com/72475495
    You can download subtitles for it here - http://subsmax.com/subtitles-movie/b...btitle/2889592

Highlights.

buddha collapsed out of shame - Afghan films - some reviews

buddha collapsed - Afghan films - some reviews

buddha collapsed out of shame - Afghan films - some reviews

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts