Thread: Hotel complaint

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,486
    Given: 3,160

Default Hotel complaint

This has had me rolling about laughing. We stayed in a flea pit hotel in Sicily that was supposed to be a four star, but was too scared to say anything at the time and just wanted out of that awful country. As my husband went to pay he made a soft complaint and they knocked €15 off the price. It was a proper insult because it really was a flea pit that made me ill. I'd never stay anywhere like that, but we didn't know where else to go and I had problems finding hotels in the first place.

My husband emailed when we got safely out of Sicily, then phoned to discus it but was told the owner was out of the country. We finally got an email back from the owner that completely dismissed the complaint, so my husband emailed back. He's that email...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have added comments in to parts of your email below, as to highlight our concerns to you.

"also the breakfast we offer is of Sicilian products made by our chef. It is possible to order scrambled eggs, ham and cheese which we prefer to slice and prepare it on request."

The breakfast on offer was very limited, there was 1 type of meat and 1 type of cheese and a few pastries (which did not seem fresh at all). After sitting in the restaurant for some time and not eating just as we were about to leave the waiter asked if we wanted scrambled eggs but it was too late as we were leaving.

"But I think that it was the smell of fresh paint. "

The smell was not fresh paint it was mildew and mould. The room smelt like it had not been occupied for some time and required a deep clean before having paying guests. The level of cleanliness let it down too, since the main table was dirty with a sticky residue on it.

"The refrigerator works, it is the silent type, and so it is not easy to see if it is on or off. Before your arrival, the minibar was not stocked with products already cooled and I apologiese for it."

It may have been a silent refrigerator and the products added not cold but that does not explain why the drinks in the fridge were still warm in the morning. Also the fridge smelt like it had not been cleaned and left closed whilst switched off as there was a musty smell.

"Agrigento maybe in the summer time. It will be my pleasure to welcome you personally and to reserve you a beautiful room overlooking the valley of the temples."

We have no plans to return to Agrigento as we were just passing through. I would appreciate it if you could refund me the cost of the room, since I feel we overpaid for a very low quality room. On our stay in Sicily we stayed in various hotels and yours was the most expensive by at least €50 euros and by far the lowest standard we experienced. We stayed in hotels in Palermo, Catania and Modica all of which were of the 4 star standard we had expected.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
    After he sent it he phoned the hotel, only to be told the owner was out of the country again and might be back at the end of next week. Basically the owner won't take his calls, but we know he's there. Just after phoning we got this email...

As explained when you telephoned some minutes ago, the Manager is out of the country at the moment.
    You could try to contact him by the end of the next week.
    Our plan was to phone everyday until he comes on the phone because the hotel really was a flea pit and I'm sick of being ripped off so we'll keep fighting for a while. He's just replied, but I'm not sure what to make of it or how to repond.

Dear Mr N, at this time I am abroad for a serious disease problem.
    I hope to return soon.
    It's like he feels he's lost the fight before it's started, so it sounds like he's pulling the "I'm dieing card".

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 1,810
    Great Britain

Default Re: Hotel complaint

You want to be careful you don't tangle with the mob!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 80
    UK

Either that or the manager is already sleeping with the fishes

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,486
    Given: 3,160

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    You want to be careful you don't tangle with the mob!
    Don't be going scaring me, we've got enough problems as it is. Should we just leave it?

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts