Thread: Nest Learning Thermostat

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 751
    Given: 1,793
    Great Britain

Default Re: Nest Learning Thermostat

CK is in charge of it. I downloaded the app but she hasn't given me the log-in details so I haven't been playing with it.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,313
    Given: 2,362
    Scotland

These things are always getting glitches. The Nest isn't without its issues now and then as well.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,637
    Given: 2,407
    England

I love the Hive. It's amazing. It's much more controllable that the thermostat (and that was less than a year old). I hated that the new thermostat didn't have a boost button, we used to have to mess about with the clock to get it to come on at unspecified times, it was a pain in the arse.

The Hive has a seven day programme that's really easy to change for when Earl's on his different shifts, again no fiddling about with a clock. It's got a holiday mode that you can preset for when you're away too, even down to the hour you leave and are expected back. I used that when we went to London, I set a minimum temperature for day and night and it set back to our default settings ready for when we were due home.

It sends me a message when I travel X amount of miles away from home asking if I want to change the temperature and when i'm on my way back it asks if I want to boost it up. Every month it sends me an email with a breakdown of temperatures and compares them to other Hive users that live nearby, so that's good fun.

I know it's not been as cold this year as last but by using the heating when we need it instead of guessing with a thermostat we've been warmer yet used less gas. Our bills are 20 to 30 a month down on last year.

Another thing I like is if the temperature dips in the day while i'm at work I can check it and if it's too cold I can give it a boost so that Spud keeps nice and warm. I've done that a couple of times.

I love it!

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post
    I love the Hive. It's amazing. It's much more controllable that the thermostat (and that was less than a year old). I hated that the new thermostat didn't have a boost button, we used to have to mess about with the clock to get it to come on at unspecified times, it was a pain in the arse.
    That sounds like our old thermostat. It didn't have a boost or an override, you know, where you can tell it to ignore the next timer event and keep heating (or not as the case may be).

The Hive has a seven day programme that's really easy to change for when Earl's on his different shifts, again no fiddling about with a clock. It's got a holiday mode that you can preset for when you're away too, even down to the hour you leave and are expected back. I used that when we went to London, I set a minimum temperature for day and night and it set back to our default settings ready for when we were due home.

It sends me a message when I travel X amount of miles away from home asking if I want to change the temperature and when i'm on my way back it asks if I want to boost it up. Every month it sends me an email with a breakdown of temperatures and compares them to other Hive users that live nearby, so that's good fun.

I know it's not been as cold this year as last but by using the heating when we need it instead of guessing with a thermostat we've been warmer yet used less gas. Our bills are 20 to 30 a month down on last year.

Another thing I like is if the temperature dips in the day while i'm at work I can check it and if it's too cold I can give it a boost so that Spud keeps nice and warm. I've done that a couple of times.

I love it!
    That sounds like it does more than the Nest does, although we can obviously do stuff like change the temperature remotely and stuff and I love that. What I don't like so much about it is the fact that the company is American in outlook and that comes across when you deal with them. It doesn't have hot water control because the Americans don't tend to have that, but what's worse is that the newer version does but we don't get any discount to upgrade, whereas we would have with Hive. So, I will probably change to Hive at some point, but as we might be moving house sometime in the next year, I will leave it until then and get a Hive for the new house if needs be. They certainly look nice and if I had waited six months instead of buying the Nest I would probably have got one then because the main reason I didn't was because the previous version didn't look so nice.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    England

I don't think the Hive has water control, but don't take my word for it.

The remote controlling is the best part for deffo. Even just being able to boost it from another room is great. They have got Hive lights and plug sockets now too, so you can switch your lights and stuff on and off remotely. We've not got them but they'd be good in winter for us because we leave the lights on all day because we don't like leaving Spud in the dark when we leave for work.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

I don't think the Hive has water control, but don't take my word for it.
    It does, but only for systems with a separate water tank, because you don't need it for a combi boiler.

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    England

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    It does, but only for systems with a separate water tank, because you don't need it for a combi boiler.
    Ahhh that makes sense.

1 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts