Thread: Nest Learning Thermostat

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,150
    Given: 2,209
    Scotland

Default Nest Learning Thermostat

Can't wait to get this gizmo installed next week.

DSC 0012 - Nest Learning Thermostat

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 304
    Burkina Faso

Default Re: Nest Learning Thermostat

What does it do?

Learns your heating habits?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

I've got Hive and think that's excellent. Does your gadget work with Hive?

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
    I've got Hive and think that's excellent. Does your gadget work with Hive?
    No, it's an alternative to Hive. It is a thermostat that learns from your routine but can also be used to set the temperature and override the schedule. I considered Hive as well but there were e few things against it for me, the main one being where to put the thermostat as we currently only have a temperature sensor rather than a thermostat so it wouldn't easily replace that. I also like the learning and other functions and it operates more like a traditional thermostat than the Hive control panel (plus it looks really cool). I am sure that Hive is good as well but Nest is the option we went for in the end.

0 Not allowed!

Neddie Seagoon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 4

not for a bird box then?

0 Not allowed!
    kiddie playdate girlsgogames com - Nest Learning Thermostat

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

So, we have had the Nest for a week and it has worked flawlessly so far. It is great to be able to control the heating from the living room for a change, and from the web apps when in other rooms and out of the house. I have switched off the "auto-set" aspect for the moment as it had a couple of side effects that weren't that convenient. One is that it hadn't yet learned our "Away" habits yet so it was staying on all day even when we were out. Plus, I have been off sick this week so the house has been occupied at times when it wouldn't usually be, thus confusing the Nest's ability to learn this properly. The other thing is the fact that you set the temperature that you want at a certain time, the Nest then works out how long it takes to get to that temperature and starts the heating that amount of time before the time you have set. This meant that, particularly with the cold weather we have been having, the time to heat up has been longer, resulting in the heating coming on at 3am instead of the usual 6am. The alternative to this is that I set the target temperature for a later time, but I would have to work out how much later to set it for, which kind of defeats the purpose. For now I have left it to just switch on and off at set times until it learns a more average set of values based on a range of outside temperatures, which change how the heating works quite considerably. Apart from those issues, which should work out over time, I am very happy with the device so far.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Default Nest Learning Thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    So, we have had the Nest for a week and it has worked flawlessly so far. It is great to be able to control the heating from the living room for a change, and from the web apps when in other rooms and out of the house. I have switched off the "auto-set" aspect for the moment as it had a couple of side effects that weren't that convenient. One is that it hadn't yet learned our "Away" habits yet so it was staying on all day even when we were out. Plus, I have been off sick this week so the house has been occupied at times when it wouldn't usually be, thus confusing the Nest's ability to learn this properly. The other thing is the fact that you set the temperature that you want at a certain time, the Nest then works out how long it takes to get to that temperature and starts the heating that amount of time before the time you have set. This meant that, particularly with the cold weather we have been having, the time to heat up has been longer, resulting in the heating coming on at 3am instead of the usual 6am. The alternative to this is that I set the target temperature for a later time, but I would have to work out how much later to set it for, which kind of defeats the purpose. For now I have left it to just switch on and off at set times until it learns a more average set of values based on a range of outside temperatures, which change how the heating works quite considerably. Apart from those issues, which should work out over time, I am very happy with the device so far.
    Seems similar to Hive apart from Hive doesn't auto learn. I like the ability to control and adjust the scheduling when we are out. So if I'm coming back later than planned I can delay when the heating kicks in.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,183
    Given: 2,864

All this heating talk is making me jealous. I'm sitting in a cold room with a little oil heater that does nothing.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Come the summer we will be jealous of you

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Yeah, for most of the year you won't be worrying about being cold, whereas we do for about 8 months of the year.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts