Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: What symbol is this?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    17,916
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

    Default What symbol is this?

    Spoiler:
    750px National Rail logosvg - What symbol is this?


    A simple question which needs a simple answer

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBBC View Post
    Spoiler:
    750px National Rail logosvg - What symbol is this?


    A simple question which needs a simple answer

    Looks like the old British Rail emblem.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Don't Blink!
    timey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    1969 (I blinked)
    Posts
    43,904
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,311
    Given: 2,359
    Scotland

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    British Rail logo, which is actually still used as a symbol for rail stations on signs and maps.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    17,916
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    British Rail logo, which is actually still used as a symbol for rail stations on signs and maps.
    Why is that?

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Don't Blink!
    timey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    1969 (I blinked)
    Posts
    43,904
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,311
    Given: 2,359
    Scotland

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBBC View Post
    Why is that?
    Because it is recognisable. That's the point of symbols and logos really.

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    17,916
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    Because it is recognisable. That's the point of symbols and logos really.
    Then why is it now called
    375px NationalRailsvg - What symbol is this?​?

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Don't Blink!
    timey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    1969 (I blinked)
    Posts
    43,904
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,311
    Given: 2,359
    Scotland

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    The name for the group that represents all of the train operating companies (ATOC). Essentially they replaced British Rail when the system was de-nationalised.

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    17,916
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    The name for the group that represents all of the train operating companies (ATOC). Essentially they replaced British Rail when the system was de-nationalised.
    Ahh, it makes it lot easier to recognise a railway service in Britain.

    Why is the symbol not used on staff uniform and trains?

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Don't Blink!
    timey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    1969 (I blinked)
    Posts
    43,904
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,311
    Given: 2,359
    Scotland

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBBC View Post
    Ahh, it makes it lot easier to recognise a railway service in Britain.

    Why is the symbol not used on staff uniform and trains?
    Because they are owned or run by individual train companies so they have the uniforms and liveries of the company that they belong to.

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    17,916
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

    Default Re: What symbol is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by timey View Post
    Because they are owned or run by individual train companies so they have the uniforms and liveries of the company that they belong to.
    How do individual train companies get to operate on National Railway network? Got to be very hard to do that?

    0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts

Similar Threads

  1. New Government Symbol
    By Major Starbold in forum Natter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 18:33
  2. Hollywood's first black sex symbol dies aged 92
    By Ernest Rants in forum Pop Culture News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 00:10
  3. Priest wearing nazi symbol
    By Ben in forum The Underworld
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-04-2009, 08:27

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •