Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patients 'waking up' during surgery

~ The Great Cambinho ~ CambCelt's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 199
    England

Default Patients 'waking up' during surgery

Hundreds of patients 'wake-up' during surgery - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Hundreds of patients have reported waking up during surgery, new research has revealed.

About 300 people in the UK say they have become conscious during surgery, known as "accidental awareness", after being put under general anaesthetic.

Every year there are around three million operations conducted in the UK where the patient is put under general anaesthesia, the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA) said.

Their research suggest some level of accidental awareness occurs in one in every 19,000 operations, meaning each year there could be as many as 158 patients whose anaesthetic fails to work properly.

Surgeries such as cardiothoracic operations and caesarean sections seemed to carry a higher risk than others. However, the authors found the most "compelling risk factor" was the use of muscle relaxants, used to prevent the patient moving".

The majority of failures occur before surgery starts or after it finishes.

Just over half of those who reported feeling aware during surgery said the incident had caused them distress. Forty-one per cent reported suffering longer-term psychological harm.
    BBC News - Some patients 'wake up' during surgery

77476994 c0196249 anaesthetist preparing patient for surger spl - Patients 'waking up' during surgery

More than 300 people a year in the UK and Ireland report they have been conscious during surgery - despite being given general anaesthesia.

In the largest study of its kind, scientists suggests this happens in one in every 19,000 operations.

They found episodes were more likely when women were given general anaesthesia for Caesarean sections or patients were given certain drugs.

Experts say though rare, much more needs to be done to prevent such cases.

'Unable to move'

Led by the Royal College of Anaesthetists and Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, researchers studied three million operations over a period of one year.

More than 300 people reported they had experienced some level of awareness during surgery.

Most episodes were short-lived and occurred before surgery started or after operations were completed. But some 41% of cases resulted in long-term psychological harm.

Patients described a variety of experiences - from panic and pain to choking - though not all episodes caused concern.

The most alarming were feelings of paralysis and being unable to communicate, the researchers say.

One patient, who wishes to remain anonymous, described her experiences of routine orthodontic surgery at the age of 12.

She said: "I could hear voices around me and I realised with horror that I had woken up in the middle of the operation but couldn't move a muscle.

"While they fiddled, I frantically tried to decide whether I was about to die."

0 Not allowed!
    icon smile - Patients 'waking up' during surgery
    ~ Dance, Trance & Magic Plants ~
    tongue - Patients 'waking up' during surgery

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 1,810
    Great Britain

Default Re: Patients 'waking up' during surgery

I don't think it's anything worth worrying about.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    England

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    I don't think it's anything worth worrying about.
    Unless you're one of those patients!

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I used to work with a lady who had twins by caesarean section and was 'conscious' but unable to move. She felt everything apparently.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    England

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Camb View Post
    I used to work with a lady who had twins by caesarean section and was 'conscious' but unable to move. She felt everything apparently.

Ouch.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,494
    Given: 3,166

Had she been put to sleep for the caesarean? I thought women were awake when they had them done, even with twins. I've never had one, but a Casualty episode when I was young put the fear of them into me. They sliced a pregnant woman open in an emergency with no anesthetic and she died from shock - obviously just a program, but that fear of them stayed with me.

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    Had she been put to sleep for the caesarean? I thought women were awake when they had them done, even with twins. I've never had one, but a Casualty episode when I was young put the fear of them into me. They sliced a pregnant woman open in an emergency with no anesthetic and she died from shock - obviously just a program, but that fear of them stayed with me.
    From memory I think it was an emergency procedure so yes, she probably was put to sleep. I had both my children by elective caesarean as I cannot imagine anything less 'natural' than natural child birth. We watched a video of a woman giving birth in Biology at school and I came out of the room convinced I would never go through anything so barbaric! I take my hat off to women who manage it.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,494
    Given: 3,166

From memory I think it was an emergency procedure so yes, she probably was put to sleep. I had both my children by elective caesarean as I cannot imagine anything less 'natural' than natural child birth. We watched a video of a woman giving birth in Biology at school and I came out of the room convinced I would never go through anything so barbaric! I take my hat off to women who manage it.

I think some women that do have them naturally probably think the same, nothing that big should come out of somewhere so small. It's just shocking to think that it actually does, but I've managed it three times somehow. When I was pregnant with my three year old, after a gap of about eleven years, I'd forgotten how big newborns were until I started watching one born every minute. I got really scared and stopped watching it because I couldn't get my head around how that was going to happen naturally.

0 Not allowed!

Neddie Seagoon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 4

apparently my cousin can't be put out

0 Not allowed!
    kiddie playdate girlsgogames com - Patients 'waking up' during surgery

Registered Member Major Starbold's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    UK

I know a young lady who has recently had a leg operation and woke up during it and her screams went ignored, she is suing.

0 Not allowed!
    ZPymsLQ - Patients 'waking up' during surgery

Today's Posts New Posts