Poll: Best Marillion frontman?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Fish v Hogarth..

Registered Member Humphrey Ballbag's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Default Fish v Hogarth..

Both can sing but IMO, Fish was streets ahead, not near as good now though...

Hogarth's singing just doesn't suit the style of the instruments, and Steve Rothery is a guitar genius .

Fish's vocals were perfectly matched to Marillion and a real shame they broke up.

Hogarth's best song for me was Easter, great song.

Of course, Misplaced Childhood being the best album on the Fish era( Marillion' best ever album IMO) ...

Followed by Clutching at Straws.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Default Fish v Hogarth..

Fish by a million sodding miles.

First saw them on the Fugazi tour before the album had been released. Fish owned every inch of the stage. The theatre was spellbinding - from the way be burst onto the stage through a thin back drop, wearing his greasepaint makeup and getting the audience to be an elephant and sing "gis a bun". Saw them later the same year at Nostell Priory and on misplaced childhood and the not so good straws tour.

Hogarth whilst a decent vocalist ( and probably technically better than Fish) never had the same passion or intensity when performing early Marrillion

Album order for me is

Fugazi
    jester
    childhood
    staws.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Default Re: Fish v Hogarth..

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

First saw them on the Fugazi tour before the album had been released. Fish owned every inch of the stage. The theatre was spellbinding - from the way be burst onto the stage through a thin back drop, wearing his greasepaint makeup and getting the audience to be an elephant and sing "gis a bun". Saw them later the same year at Nostell Priory and on misplaced childhood and the not so good straws tour.

Hogarth whilst a decent vocalist ( and probably technically better than Fish) never had the same passion or intensity when performing early Marrillion

Album order for me is

Fugazi
    jester
    childhood
    staws.

That's quite interesting Whitesnake, and let's us see how different we see things.

I think if Hogarth were to sing more in the style of 'Easter', then he would get more credit, but in comparison to Fish, he seems to sound flat and dull, I just don't think he is much suited to the brilliNt guitar rifts of Marillion and Rothery in particular.

I liked a couple of songs from Fugazi as well as Jester's tear, but those albums paired in comparison to MC and Straws IMO.

Album order for me is

Fugazi
    jester
    childhood
    staws.
    Your dead right btw.. Fish is kind of eccentric on stage and the fans seemed to love it!.. a real showman.

http://youtu.be/W3353dbkWt4

Fish doing what he does best
    Had never seen that whistle test clip of them before Whites, I thought the youtube link might be. A link to Fish's beer arm!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Default Fish v Hogarth..

But have you seen them live? Songs can develop a new life when performed and it's what I remember the most. If it's just the records that you've listened to then you will have different perspective on a song. After going to a great gig I often like songs I didn't used to. I saw Pearl Jam last month and can't get Porch and Black out of my head. Prior to watching them hit the stage I didn't appreciate the intensity in those tunes.

Being in a mosh pit when the haunting opening of Assassing kicks in is very different to the hearing the album in your bedroom. Fugazi live was just stunning especially when it hadn't been released.

Whitesnake

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

But have you seen them live? Songs can develop a new life when performed and it's what I remember the most. If it's just the records that you've listened to then you will have different perspective on a song. After going to a great gig I often like songs I didn't used to. I saw Pearl Jam last month and can't get Porch and Black out of my head. Prior to watching them hit the stage I didn't appreciate the intensity in those tunes.

Being in a mosh pit when the haunting opening of Assassing kicks in is very different to the hearing the album in your bedroom. Fugazi live was just stunning especially when it hadn't been released.

Whitesnake

I've never saw Marillion live, I'm quite jealous of you on that one!
    Bit I've seen Soft Cell live in the Barrowlands and at Leeds Uni... spectacular!

So I can appreciate what you say

I do like Placebo too, missed to think at first they were a teen band, but they quite impressed me after their first album.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts