Thread: Up to 5 million children will be living in poverty by 2020

Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

The Sun Up to 5 million children will be living in poverty by 2020

The true plight of Breadline Britain’s destitute children is exposed today.

A shocking 3.5 million youngsters are living in poverty in this country - and experts predict that figure will soar to 5 million by 2020.

New research by Oxfam, due out tomorrow, reveals 20 million meals have been handed out in food banks across the UK in the last year as parents on the brink struggle to feed their kids. 300,000 have depended on them.

In a devastating development, more and more desperate mothers are turning to prostitution in a bid to put food on the table.

Sick and cancer-stricken children are forced to queue up at food banks to stave off their hunger. And parents clinging on to jobs with zero hours contracts don’t know what money they’ll have from one week to the next.

Medical experts recently wrote an open letter to David Cameron slamming the rise in food poverty, saying families “are not earning enough money to meet their most basic nutritional needs” and that “the welfare system is increasingly failing to provide a robust line of defence against hunger.”

The British Medical Journal revealed how malnutrition in England has almost doubled in fives. It said: “This has all the signs of a public health emergency that could go unrecognised until it is too late. Malnutrition in children is particularly worrying because exposures during sensitive periods can have lifelong effects.”

Here, three brave youngsters and their families tell what life is really like in Breadline Britain

I sell sex for £30 just so I can feed my girls
    Desperate mum Susan sold sex to strangers upstairs while her children watch TV downstairs, knowing it’s the only way she can put food on the table.

Unable to scrape together a few pennies to feed the gas metre during a bleak winter she made the heartbreaking decision to quit her low-paid job in a chippy and become a sex worker to pay the bills.

She admits: “I hate what I do. I’m blown apart inside every time I have to lie down and be an actress on a mattress, but I do it out of necessity.”

Unable to manage on her £76 a week wages, topped up by £600 a month tax credit, Susan reveals she was barely able to feed her daughters Becky, 13, and nine-year-old Rosie.

“I simply couldn’t live on my wages and I had nobody to watch the girls if I took a full-time job. I was struggling so badly I sometimes had to tell the girls they couldn’t have an extra bit of toast or a glass of milk,” she says.

“Now, if I need extra cash I work more. People can look down their noses all they like, I’m doing this for my kids. Some family and friends no longer talk to me but I care about my daughters’ welfare more.”

She earns up to £600 a week providing sex at her home in a deprived area of Hull. If she has bills to pay or clothes to buy for her girls she adjusts how much she works and what she charges. Her hourly rate varies from £30 to £50.

But it comes at a high price. When she makes up her face and pulls on her skin-tight trousers and knee-high boots, Susan adopts a defiant, tough-as-nails routine. But she breaks down as she admits she has worked with her children in the house.

The tears flow when she reveals Rebecca and Rosie know what she does.

She sobs: “There’s been times when we’ve been so skint I’ve sneaked clients upstairs while the girls watch TV in the living room... I’m telling my story so people know how bad things can get for families.

“I’m not alone. I know other mums who have been pushed into this as well.”

Little Rosie tells us: “I sometimes get really worried that someone is going to hurt my mum.”
    Britain's breadline kids: Up to 5 million children will be living in poverty by 2020 - Mirror Online

they can all go to America for a better life!

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,797
    Great Britain

Default Re: Up to 5 million children will be living in poverty by 2020

I don't see how kids are living in poverty when they've got a TV to watch and their mother earns £600 a week lying on her back. Sounds like a cushy number to me.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    I don't see how kids are living in poverty when they've got a TV to watch and their mother earns £600 a week lying on her back. Sounds like a cushy number to me.
    just cancel sky and have the internet then the kids would have more choice on the internet to watch.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

So I calculated that she earns £31,200 per year. What a slut she is, I feel sorry for her daughters having a prostitute as her mother.

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,797
    Great Britain

Why?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Why?
    She is selling herself to men while she have kids, no wonder she never declared herself a MILF!

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,768
    Given: 2,510
    England

"I’m blown apart inside every time I have to lie down..."

I think she's doing it all wrong.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up