Thread: Are we all racist now?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

Default Are we all racist now?

As a survey of British social attitudes reveals a shocking upturn in prejudice, Allison Pearson argues that the political elite’s desire to advance multiculturalism with mass immigration has backfired
    Are we all racist now? - Telegraph

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,405
    Given: 2,508
    Scotland

Default Re: Are we all racist now?

30% does not equate to "all".

0 Not allowed!

Dangerous Dilettante
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,797
    Great Britain

No, but I suspect the figure is much higher. I think racial prejudice is a completely natural phenomena, most people are suspicious of things which are different from their norm.

The trick is that more enlightened people accept that basic instinct for what it is and rise above it.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 14
    Bhutan

It's human nature to look at people who are different to us more closely and by doing that their faults will stand out more. We're also more forgiving towards people we feel an affiliation with, that's not going to change.

I think the thing that annoys me most with a lot of these isms and phobias these days is that somehow society has got to the point where something even slightly -ist or -phobic is blown out of all proportion, like calling someone a a bit camp is in some way close to gay bashing, or seeing negatives in black culture is similar to putting on a white hood and stringing up a couple of black fellas, there is no sense of proportion there and you get those whose favourite issue it is foaming at the mouth with hatred for someone who has done very little wrong except use a word or see differences between cultures.

I've often wondered if those people who blow up like that over a little thing due to the possibility of -isms or -phobias are people who just try to go against our nature to be judgemental towards those who are different and that somehow gets bottled up until they feel they have a 'valid' target in that bloke who made a joke about homosexuals or the guy who thinks black rappers are a bit silly. It all seems the same to me though, people looking down on people who are different are (in my opinion) doing it due to the exact same instinct as those who look down on them for doing so. The human race has evolved from race and gender being the main things we pick on and we've just moved onto more valid targets where we can feed our basic need to judge and criticise.

Or maybe not, who knows eh?

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,405
    Given: 2,508
    Scotland

Yeah, it depends what we mean by racist in the first place, after all this I think the term is used too much and in widely varying situations. Of course it is natural to be wary of incomers but treating people differently because of their colour, for example, should no longer happen really in the modern world, as simply having different coloured skin should not be a threat. So it is difficult when you don't know the context in which people are saying that they are racist. I think many may have said this to redress the balance and get the discussion more to the centre ground rather than the extremes that we appear to have to be pigeonholed into, but as you say Ben, who knows, I could be talking complete bollocks.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

different breeds of dogs are different races.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts