i live in the hill

thats a shame for people got flooded

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Default Re: Do the floods effect you?

I don't think we've had any flooding here thankfully, which is quite odd considering that we're an island.

0 Not allowed!

Blackie

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post
    bloody hell, you're taking a risk there!

Do you not insure for anything or just not for floods?

Personally I take out best insurance I can find, not cheapest but those like for like and I get it upped every few years to cover the increasing values of things.

The gable end of my house got sucked off by a vortex when we had bad winds a few years ago. To rebuild it it cost thousands but my insurance covered the lot, even put us up in a hotel for a week or so whilst the dirtiest work was done and gave me some personal compensation. I'd have been fucked without insurance.
    I wasn't taking a risk at all when posting that thread really as I live in Brum and no floods here but I wanted to see how others who do choose to live in such areas cope with their losses when hit by the flooding???

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,636
    Given: 2,407
    England

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    I wasn't taking a risk at all when posting that thread really as I live in Brum and no floods here but I wanted to see how others who do choose to live in such areas cope with their losses when hit by the flooding???
    Bloody heck, this was started a decade ago

Anyways, it's interesting because we've moved house since then and one of the things we considered was whether or not where we were moving to would be affected by flooding.

We've not had proper floods in this area since about 1980 but there are areas that are so sodden and have such poor drainage that when it rains the gardens are knee deep in rainwater. It didn't used to be the case but there's been that many new properties built, the weather has got wetter and when it rains it can be proper biblical that it's all added up to be a bit of a problem.

We went to see one house round here and the garden looked like a swimming pool.

0 Not allowed!

Blackie

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post
    Bloody heck, this was started a decade ago

Anyways, it's interesting because we've moved house since then and one of the things we considered was whether or not where we were moving to would be affected by flooding.

We've not had proper floods in this area since about 1980 but there are areas that are so sodden and have such poor drainage that when it rains the gardens are knee deep in rainwater. It didn't used to be the case but there's been that many new properties built, the weather has got wetter and when it rains it can be proper biblical that it's all added up to be a bit of a problem.

We went to see one house round here and the garden looked like a swimming pool.
    I'm similar in a way to people who dont want to move away from a area they like CK so I kind of understand them but...
    Some homes on the coast are now being reclaimed by the sea but still stubborn people refuse to move.
    Insuring homes like that must cost more than the houses and contests are worth really for most
    so it's understandable that they refuse to move until knowing it's truly the end of the line now.
    Where do you go when you've lost everything you own?

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts