Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the floods effect you?

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Default Do the floods effect you?

I'm vulnerable but have been lucky so fer but I dont insure.
    I let fate take a hand.

Do you?

0 Not allowed!

Obsessed with carrots.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,627
    Given: 2,402
    England

Default Re: Do the floods effect you?

bloody hell, you're taking a risk there!

Do you not insure for anything or just not for floods?

Personally I take out best insurance I can find, not cheapest but those like for like and I get it upped every few years to cover the increasing values of things.

The gable end of my house got sucked off by a vortex when we had bad winds a few years ago. To rebuild it it cost thousands but my insurance covered the lot, even put us up in a hotel for a week or so whilst the dirtiest work was done and gave me some personal compensation. I'd have been fucked without insurance.

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ck View Post
    bloody hell, you're taking a risk there!

Do you not insure for anything or just not for floods?

Personally I take out best insurance I can find, not cheapest but those like for like and I get it upped every few years to cover the increasing values of things.

The gable end of my house got sucked off by a vortex when we had bad winds a few years ago. To rebuild it it cost thousands but my insurance covered the lot, even put us up in a hotel for a week or so whilst the dirtiest work was done and gave me some personal compensation. I'd have been fucked without insurance.
    No insurance at all, property, life, nothing at all.
    It started with life insurance co's I saw how little my mom got got when she struggled to pay it every week.
    Now it's a bug bear, I will never pay it, they wriggle out of clauses you never read in the small print.
    She trusted people who took your money week after week, I trust no-one, if fate does you it does you.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 169

no floods here

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,305
    Given: 2,352
    Scotland

I insure but I used to work in insurance so I know the risks (of not doing). Personally, I do think that insurance has got out of hand as people expect to cover small losses that are neither here nor there. However, I would always advocate insuring against the big things like fire, flood, life assurance etc. The risk of these happening is small, of course, but if it does, then you are screwed. IMO, we should go back to simple insurance policies that cover the big things, which would be much cheaper than the "all risks" stuff people seem to demand now, which costs much more and yet people still complain about the premiums.

No floods here BTW but we are going to Lancashire next week - hope there are none there.

0 Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,315
    Given: 3,017

You're taking a huge risk there BD. If you had a fire and lost everything, where would you be?

I used to work for an insurance company and obviously they're in it to make money, but you'll also get what's due if something happens. I've felt sorry for people who aren't covered properly and managed to sway decisions to pay them - so not everyone is unsympathetic. Some don't cover for things and won't pay out if you've lied to them to get cheaper cover, but as long as you read the small print, you can't go wrong.

.. as for flooding - our garage is the only thing at risk here during in a heavy storm. We live on very high ground.

0 Not allowed!

Drunken wreck of Chester jambolo's Avatar
    Thumbs Up

doesn't a flood count as "an act of god" which means you get absolutely nothing because the insurance company suddenly become catholic whenever there's a disaster.

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.morningstarr.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic161_2.gif

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_Breeze View Post
    I've felt sorry for people who aren't covered properly and managed to sway decisions to pay them - so not everyone is unsympathetic.
    Me too. I used to try and help if I could, but there were a lot of customers were nasty because they felt you were questioning their claim (usually the ones that did have something to be guilty about) so I got out of that business.

0 Not allowed!

Don't Blink!
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by jambolo View Post
    doesn't a flood count as "an act of god" which means you get absolutely nothing because the insurance company suddenly become catholic whenever there's a disaster.
    No. You're thinking of legal liability claims where an act of God is an allowable legal defence. Flood is an insurable risk under general insurance policies and you would be covered for that.

0 Not allowed!

Registered Member
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jambolo View Post
    No Jammy, insurance covers fire, flood and lighting strikes, another 'act of god.'

Civil unrest and acts of terrorism or war are often the exclusions that are applied.

We had a direct lighting strike a few years ago and the insurance paid for the damage.

0 Not allowed!

Today's Posts New Posts