PDA

View Full Version : 'Limited or no connectivity'

Alpha
12-09-2007, 20:24
Okay, ever since i umplugged my modem the other night to see if it would change my IP (obviously it didn't) I've had the:
Local Area Connection (3)
Speed: 10.0Mbps

Yet my internet is fine, as i'm logged in, obviously.

But for some reason the LAN 3 has a 169.254.*.* IP.

So, what do it all mean. :confused:

The only thing i can't log into is Statcounter.

A_B
12-09-2007, 20:36
Okay, ever since i umplugged my modem the other night to see if it would change my IP (obviously it didn't) I've had the:
Local Area Connection (3)
Speed: 10.0Mbps

Yet my internet is fine, as i'm logged in, obviously.

But for some reason the LAN 3 has a 169.254.*.* IP.

So, what do it all mean. :confused:

The only thing i can't log into is Statcounter.

I don't know what exactly you're asking. :D

Are you worried about the 'limited or no connectivity'? Just go into 'repair' and see if that helps. If I unplug mine, sometimes it 'pretends' I'm not connected, but after repairing it, it's fine.

If you're asking something else, I can't work out what it is. :D

RichardJacobs
12-09-2007, 20:38
get tiscali ;)

Alpha
12-09-2007, 20:43
I don't know what exactly you're asking. :D

Are you worried about the 'limited or no connectivity'? Just go into 'repair' and see if that helps. If I unplug mine, sometimes it 'pretends' I'm not connected, but after repairing it, it's fine.

If you're asking something else, I can't work out what it is. :D

I'm asking how to fix this. should i unplug the modem again? or something.

When i click repair it doesn't do that for me. It says it can't renew the IP address and then there's something to do with DHCP.

All i wanted was to see if it could change the IP address. :confused:

timey
12-09-2007, 20:45
If I get the "limited or no connectivity" message, it means I can't use it the network, and I have to log off the network and back on again. Is it a modem directly connected to your PC or is it a modem/router?

What does the "LAN 3" bit mean? Is that something to do with your home network, and is the IP address you have quoted your internal address (assigned by router) or your internet IP (assigned by your ISP)?

Alpha
12-09-2007, 20:50
the 169 IP is assigned to the modem, the LAN3 is the Local Area Connection (3). The other Local Area Connection is working fine, it's just 'LAN3' that says that.

A_B
12-09-2007, 20:53
I'm asking how to fix this. should i unplug the modem again? or something.

When i click repair it doesn't do that for me. It says it can't renew the IP address and then there's something to do with DHCP.

All i wanted was to see if it could change the IP address. :confused:

If it's not doing anything when you click repair, unplug and reset your modem first (leave it unplugged for at least 30seconds), then wait until your computer loads up fully before clicking anything - then right click to repair again.

If that doesn't work, give it a good kicking.

Alpha
12-09-2007, 20:59
Would a firewall interefere with renewing an IP?

timey
12-09-2007, 21:02
You might also have to fiddle with the DHCP settings. These are what the router uses to assign IP addresses to the network interfaces within your LAN. Sounds like DHCP has become unset as it should be set to assign addresses in the 192.168.x.x range automatically. So, check ipconfig and also the network settings for the network card to see what the settings are, and also check that the router is still using DHCP as well.

timey
12-09-2007, 21:03
Would a firewall interefere with renewing an IP?

No, it should not.

Alpha
12-09-2007, 21:10
You might also have to fiddle with the DHCP settings. These are what the router uses to assign IP addresses to the network interfaces within your LAN. Sounds like DHCP has become unset as it should be set to assign addresses in the 192.168.x.x range automatically. So, check ipconfig and also the network settings for the network card to see what the settings are, and also check that the router is still using DHCP as well.

Okay, thanks for that. :)

A_B
12-09-2007, 21:11
Alpha, if all you did was turn off/unplug it, I wouldn't mess about with the settings just yet because you could really mess it up then. :eek: It needs rebooting before trying anything else. Unplug it (the modem), press the reset button, restart your computer and repair it.

timey
12-09-2007, 21:13
Alpha, if all you did was turn off/unplug it, I wouldn't mess about with the settings just yet because you could really mess it up then. :eek: It needs rebooting before trying anything else. Unplug it (the modem), press the reset button, restart your computer and repair it.

I'm not sure why she didn't do that in the first place. She never needed to unplug it. :confused:

The settings have definitely been buggered though but I would do as AB says first and see what happens. :)

A_B
12-09-2007, 21:18
I'm not sure why she didn't do that in the first place. She never needed to unplug it. :confused:

The settings have definitely been buggered though but I would do as AB says first and see what happens. :)

Yeah, it does sound like the settings has been messed with - but I always like to start with the simplest of solutions first before having to give my brain a workout. :D The simplest things can sometimes be overlooked.

Sometimes I've had the same 'message' when repairing - it doesn't necessarily mean your settings are fudged, it might be solved with a reboot.

Alpha
12-09-2007, 21:20
Right, i will retry that. thanks. :D

Fenella
12-09-2007, 21:20
What about system restore? I wouldn't want to advise anyone what to do but I did that once and it sorted things out when I had a problem. What do you think you computer experts?

timey
12-09-2007, 21:23
What about system restore? I wouldn't want to advise anyone what to do but I did that once and it sorted things out when I had a problem. What do you think you computer experts?

Maybe if the other things don't work out. It shouldn't really be anything to do with system restore, but you never know. ;)

A_B
12-09-2007, 21:24

That might help if she's messed with her settings on her computer (or she's got a virus), but it's something separate to her modem.

TheMob
12-09-2007, 21:25
The 192.168.x.x range is usually assigned to a device such as a router or another computer on the network.

It may well be looking for a device that isn't there.

Reboot and everything should be picked up automatically.

A_B
12-09-2007, 21:36
Alpha, I can see you - are you still online? :D

We're all waiting for you to try resetting/rebooting it incase you need any more help. Go try it, if you're still here! :D

Ck
12-09-2007, 21:37
I'll worry if she's gone too long :eek:

Alpha, you back yet? :p

Alpha
12-09-2007, 21:41
I havn't done anything yet. :o

Ck
12-09-2007, 21:53
I'm scared for you! :D

A_B
12-09-2007, 22:21
She's been gone ages now. :eek:

Alpha
12-09-2007, 22:21
I'm back, i did what you told me too. and it's still showing up as limited or no connectivity for LAN 3

oh well.

A_B
12-09-2007, 22:27
I'm back, i did what you told me too. and it's still showing up as limited or no connectivity for LAN 3

oh well.

..and you've rebooted your computer and repaired the connection? If you have, it looks like you'll have to do some fiddling now. :D I don't know how they'll have got messed up if you haven't touched anything though. I'm too scared to have any part in fiddling with someones elses settings, but Timey should be able to help.

Alpha
12-09-2007, 22:32
yeah, i did all that.
LAN is fine, it's just LAN 3 that thats get the triangle on it.

A_B
12-09-2007, 22:55
yeah, i did all that.
LAN is fine, it's just LAN 3 that thats get the triangle on it.

I might be being stupid, but why do you have two networks? :confused: Which one are you using?

Alpha
12-09-2007, 22:59
I'm using LAN which is the Ethernet, the LAN 3 is the modem. I thought i used just the one to start with anyway. :confused:

A_B
12-09-2007, 23:19
I'm using LAN which is the Ethernet, the LAN 3 is the modem. I thought i used just the one to start with anyway. :confused:

Sorry Alpha, I'm really trying to understand why you have two networks and I'm totally lost. If any techie people can explain - I'd be grateful. The only thing I can think of, is you've set a new network up by accident when you've been trying to get a new ip address (LAN3), but have set it up wrong (or not completed it). I can't see any reason why you'd have two networks in your house.

I'm assuming you're using ONLY LAN and not LAN3 because you're connected to the internet and everything is obviously working.

Was LAN3 there before you turned the modem off?

Alpha
12-09-2007, 23:28
the only one i'm useing is LAN. LAN3 wasn't there before. Although i think it only showed up in the Network Connections window.

A_B
12-09-2007, 23:37
the only one i'm useing is LAN. LAN3 wasn't there before. Although i think it only showed up in the Network Connections window.

It does sound like you've partly set it up by accident while trying to change your ip. I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable before doing anything drastic with it though (I can't understand why it's there, so I'd delete it - but don't do that on my say so!!!!!! :eek:)

The safest thing to do, is right mouse click it and disable it. If your internet connection is still working fine with it disabled, it means that it's not doing anything (basically, it's probably been set up by accident and it's not needed). If you lose your connection - it obviously means it is needed, so enable it again and wait for someone else to give you some advise. :D Doing that won't harm anything - deleting it will (so don't do that :D).

Alpha
12-09-2007, 23:42
I don't usually touch anything in Network Connections though, so i don't know how i might have done that.

A_B
12-09-2007, 23:56
I don't usually touch anything in Network Connections though, so i don't know how i might have done that.

When you turned your modem off to try setting a new ip, did any screens appear on your computer after you turned it back on (possibly called 'network wizard')?

Nothing should've happened with your computer (I mean, no screens asking you to create anything like a network connection) when you turned your modem back on.

Try disabling it to see if it's actually doing anything. If it's not, you'll still have an internet connection. You can always enable it again if you lose your connection.

Alpha
13-09-2007, 00:01
No, i didn't get anything about the network wizard.

Alpha
13-09-2007, 00:03
Okay, i've disabled it and i'm still here. :D

A_B
13-09-2007, 00:07
No, i didn't get anything about the network wizard.

I'm probably wrong then. :D I just can't understand why you have two networks (maybe there is a reason and I'm just being slack :D - we only have one).

Alpha
13-09-2007, 00:08
I thought i only used one aswell.

A_B
13-09-2007, 00:12
Okay, i've disabled it and i'm still here. :D

Wahoo!! :D

That means it's probably safe to delete because it's not doing anything. Leave it disabled for now and wait until someone else comes along to confirm you can delete it. There might be a reason why someone would have two (I can't think of one, but I'm not really 'with the times'. :D)