PDA

View Full Version : Fried

mimseycal
18-08-2010, 09:42
to a cinder :mad:

My dearly beloved grandson managed to download a redirect virus yesterday. While trying to remove the bugger, without asking his nan for her sage advice, he managed to fry my C: drive to a crisp. Well, no not quite ... he just managed to scramble the OS so that it now is on a boot-up loop.

I've managed to find an old H/D that I had from a previous PC which has enabled me to access the web and will now proceed to try and find a fix for my favourite H/D. At the moment all I can think of is reformatting the disk and starting from scratch. If anyone has any ideas of what else I might try before taking such drastic action ... Please feel free to advance them.

Have to take my next door neighbour to her hospital appointment now ... will have a look later before starting major surgery ... on the H/D ;)

Jules
18-08-2010, 10:18
oops

timey is probably your best bet

Ck
18-08-2010, 10:19
:eek:

Sorry, I don't know anything about PCs but I hope you can get it fixed quick soon.

Ben
18-08-2010, 15:50
Firstly I'm surprised the virus was able to be installed, did he disable the antivirus software?

Anyway, on to things.

Assuming you can access the drive, you could go in and remove the virus, most virus programs will do this for you. TO remove it fully you may have to make registry changes, so you'll need to find out the exact name of the virus you had.

However, that's obviously a solution for before the lad tried to fix it himself. Unless you know everything he did, you could be leaving your computer open to allsorts of things, because you simple won't know what files are actually missing. However, if he just randomly deleted files, something as simple as restoring from the recycle bin may work. If he started doing stuff with the registry, unless you have a backup (I have regular backups because CCleaner makes them every time I scan my registry) you're pretty much screwed unless you take it to a pro, and even then most of the time they will prob just advise wiping and starting again.

If you do have access, the good news is that you can get all your personal files off it (obviously virus scan before you move them onto another HDD, just in case).

Personally, I'd grab my personal files and start again.

Ben
18-08-2010, 15:51
One thing, if you want to be able to boot it, try booting into safe mode.

timey
18-08-2010, 17:46
Well if you will let kids use your PC. :p

timey
18-08-2010, 17:48
On a more constructive note (:D), do you have your Windows disk? This can be used to repair a lot of things if you just boot up with it in the drive. For this, you'd have to have the CD drive set up as the first boot device, which can be set in the BIOS before boot up.

If not, Ben's advice seems sound.

mimseycal
18-08-2010, 18:31
Sorry ... just got back ... things went a tad pear-shaped for my neighbour and the diagnosis (and prognosis) is about as bad as can be ... spent the day with her till her son in law came home from work and her daughter could leave the kids with him.

Tried safe mode but it seems the little hooligan tried that as well and then tried to reconfig the boot disk. it won't even boot up into that anymore; it just loops the loop. It looks as if he has managed to partition part of the flippin boot up sequence (or whatever it is you techno bobs call it) ... I've spent a few hours last night trying to find my original windows disk but ... what with the move and everything.

I reckon the best bet is reformat and start from scratch. I have no access to it what so ever however that isn't too bad. My C:\ drive was my working drive ... most of my stuff is actually saved on my D:\ H:\ and F:\ drives with the latter two being external H/Ds ... I've lost most of my email contacts and some music I wasn't too worried about (mostly stuff he downloaded really) ...

timey
18-08-2010, 21:09
OK, but if you can't find your Windows CD what are you going to use for an operating system?

timmy_too_far
19-08-2010, 01:02
If anyone has any ideas of what else I might try before taking such drastic action ... Please feel free to advance them.

new grandson! :p

mimseycal
19-08-2010, 09:05
new grandson! :p:hysterical: and please do not think that I haven't been tempted :p;)

mimseycal
19-08-2010, 09:06
OK, but if you can't find your Windows CD what are you going to use for an operating system?I haven't gotten that far yet ... Still can't boot the dratted thing up so for the moment the question is academic ;) Might go for one of the open source OS that abound

timmy_too_far
19-08-2010, 13:06
:hysterical: and please do not think that I haven't been tempted :p;)

haha, im sure my grandparents have wished for a new granddaughter too, i think it might be a universal thing :laughing:

timey
19-08-2010, 20:19
I haven't gotten that far yet ... Still can't boot the dratted thing up so for the moment the question is academic ;) Might go for one of the open source OS that abound

If you want my recommendation, and feel free to ignore it if you wish, but I'd go for Ubuntu Linux. It's a breeze to set up and very user friendly. It's almost like a free Windows, but it works better. ;)

mimseycal
19-08-2010, 20:48
I've already sent off for the CD ... not worth doing it on this PC ... it is a very old slow one but, and far be it from me to disparage it ... it is a good little stand by for when the big bugger gets mangled by the grandson ...

mimseycal
24-08-2010, 06:18
Well, I am back online with my regular ... Ubuntu just in case you are wondering Timey ;) ... Looks like I need a replacement H/D though ... nowt I could do with my original C:\ so am now working on one H/D only ...

timey
24-08-2010, 08:01
Yay! I hope you like using Ubuntu. :)

mimseycal
24-08-2010, 08:22
Am hoping it will get easier with use. Am so used to knowing exactly where what is that this starting from scratch has me a tad unsettled ... ;)

mimseycal
01-09-2010, 11:46
Just jumped in quickly to give a brief update ... Have finally collected all the components to build a new PC. Just looking for the time to do so now. That means three times the length of time I estimated in the first place and NO interruptions from the kids ;) Hopefully tomorrow http://www.computer-adviser.com/images/web-messenger-crossed-fingers.gif

Ck
01-09-2010, 14:06
Good luck Mims

Earl
01-09-2010, 17:00
Bloody PCs.

mimseycal
01-09-2010, 17:23
Oh ... I dunno. This last one I had was a bit of a great grandfather's (a few times removed) axe. I've kept it limping along for the past 8 years after an office I worked in deemed it past redemption; cannibalised the odd sound card here or a graphics card there ... I can't complain really. It's the software that caught up with me in the end ;) I'm no programmer :D

Hutchybee
01-09-2010, 17:35
Im a bit late to this one but I downloaded something I shouldnt have back in April and it left my pc on the boot loop that you described. But luckily I have Farstone Driveclone installed. It saves all your stuff on a partition on the drive that nothing can access and if you ever have a drama you can wipe the big bit and boot from the partition. It regularly takes snapshots so it keeps the partition updated so you should lose hardly anything if it all goes tits up!

Farstone.... (http://www.farstone.com/software/totalrecovery-pro.php)

timey
01-09-2010, 17:49
PCs are far better than Macs, purely because you CAN build them yourself and maintain them if necessary.

mimseycal
01-09-2010, 18:45
And here is the proof of the pudding. Don't get me wrong, I like Macs ... I've worked on them over the years and they are great for certain things. In fact for some things they are far better then PCs. But for surfing and twiddling about indoors ... give me a PC anytime if for no other reason then that you can, as Timey pointed out, build and maintain them yourself.

Earl
01-09-2010, 19:16
PCs are far better than Macs, purely because you CAN build them yourself and maintain them if necessary.

Yeah, you're not selling it to me. That's like saying DIY is better than someone else fitting my kitchen or bathroom. Which raises the point of how many DIY projects go tits up.

I'm no expert but my understanding was part of the reason Macs were better is because they aren't built from lots of different bits, like some kind of Frankenstein's Monster, so the parts are all more compatible and work better and more efficiently. That's why the specs on Macs seem so much lower then on PCs.

timey
01-09-2010, 19:19
Ah yes, that's true, but that's only if you buy on the cheap and you get all the worst parts. Get the best parts and a PC is as good as any Mac, and still a lot cheaper. I'm still not convinced that Macs are THAT MUCH better than a decent PC. They say you don't get any problems with them - well I know that's not true as I know people that have had problems with them. And I hardly have any problems with my PCs. My main gripe with PCs is having to have Windows, but there's not really any way round that.

Earl
01-09-2010, 19:51
I can never really get in an argument about PCs vs. Mac as I don't know what I'm talking about and I've barely ever used a PC. All I can say is I don't like the complexity of building PCs with loads of different parts, it sounds like a fucking ballache. I was happy to order what I wanted and it came out of a box all from the same manufacturer and it only needed one plug socket. :D

timey
01-09-2010, 21:21
I can never really get in an argument about PCs vs. Mac as I don't know what I'm talking about and I've barely ever used a PC. All I can say is I don't like the complexity of building PCs with loads of different parts, it sounds like a fucking ballache. I was happy to order what I wanted and it came out of a box all from the same manufacturer and it only needed one plug socket. :D

Yeah, the thing is, neither do I, as I have never built a PC nor do I want to. But I know I can get the case open and add stuff or replace stuff if I want to, and with the components that I want and not the manufacturer. I know someone who has a Mac and their hard driver went kaputt (yep, even Macs suffer wear and tear) and he had to take it back to the shop and leave it there so they could get and fit a new drive. I never want to have to do that.

But at the end of the day it comes down to cost, and it's like cars. I could buy a fancy, fast car, but I don't need one and don't desire one enough to pay the money for it. Same with computers. I can get what does the job more than adequately for a third of the price, and TBH, PCs and laptops have improved a lot over the years, as have the operating systems. Using a modern laptop with Windows 7, or even a netbook with Ubuntu Linux, is a much more satisfying experience than it used to be. ;)

mimseycal
02-09-2010, 15:41
Never really having been in a position to just get what I want but always having had to make do with what I have ... PCs are fine and I am now online with my self built PC which is as smooth as a baby's bum, silent as the night (which isn't all that silent when you think about it but silent enough for my purposes ;)) and I have just finished the whole set-up and install. You were my first port of call :D

Now I am off to get myself a well earned cuppa and some of yesterday's left over chicken and rice http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/69.gif