PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of malware?

Hutchybee
18-04-2010, 16:15
I downloaded something that I shouldnt have and it crashed my computer..... I had to use system restore and the last point I had was the 4th of March so the last 6 weeks have gone up in smoke....

What do people gain from writing malware?! It just seems like a pointless exercise to me.....

timmy_too_far
18-04-2010, 16:19
theyre assholes. i have a trojan on my computer but i had a closer restore point and that trojans sitting in a vault going nowhere cos i have no spyware removal on my laptop >.< grrr

Earl
18-04-2010, 17:31
What is the point in that then? Isn't malware supposed to be making people money these days?

Ben
18-04-2010, 17:44
People do it for a laugh.

Earl
18-04-2010, 19:43
That's what I thought too.

timey
18-04-2010, 20:58
They're just knobheads who get a thrill out of thinking their cleverness is trashing people's computers. They probably think we are all stupid. They'll be sitting in a room with baseball caps on back-to-front, sniggering "he he, wicked man innit" or something of the sort. :rolleyes:

amazinggrace
20-04-2010, 19:35
They think they're the bees knees even if no one knows who they are. The free Malwarebytes application is good at getting rid of this bad stuff.

xZombie
23-04-2010, 00:44
I'll vouch for Malwarebytes as well, it's saved me tons of times. As for the point in this crap software, I'd say most of them do it for the money as at least the infections I've gotten have been for shady anti-viruses that claim that they'll remove the infection and cost at least $30 or so. If I was not tech savvy, I'd probably believe it and shell out money to a scammer plus risk my credit card becoming stolen in the process. They're hoping we'll all be gullible enough to make them some cash.

CambCelt
01-05-2010, 12:39
These malware-inducing bastards would get a right good kicking from me, if I knew where they were and they were near Cambridge. Even if they were all 7-foot tall. I'd drop them.

Whether it's to steal our details or just to look clever or whatever, it's shitty.

Luckily, my McAfee has kept me safe 'til now but I've come close to the nasty red cross :eek: a few times.