PDA

View Full Version : More PC garbage!

SFB
15-10-2006, 11:33
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13547103,00.html

My favourite part is, "Other items such as turbans, hijabs and bangles can be worn as it is not practical for staff to conceal them beneath their uniforms."

Earl
15-10-2006, 12:01
Does the British Airways uniform still include a Union Flag? Racist bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SFB
15-10-2006, 12:12
Go back to bed M.

Victor29
15-10-2006, 21:33
This whole issue of what we can and cannot wear is getting really silly.
Do you remember the case of the family who had the range of free bank piggie banks in their window and were told to remove tham as they offended muslim neighbours?
I think we have to be realistic here. This is my country if someone comes here and offends me they should be sent back. If I go to their country and offend them I would expect to be sent home. I would not expect the whole country to change because of me.
There are still some countries in the world where I would not be allowed to follow my own religious faith and would be forced to conform to their dress codes. I should not be forced to adhere to foreign traditions when I'm at home.

Mike H
25-10-2006, 14:43
Do you remember the case of the family who had the range of free bank piggie banks in their window and were told to remove tham as they offended muslim neighbours?
I think we have to be realistic here. This is my country if someone comes here and offends me they should be sent back. If I go to their country and offend them I would expect to be sent home. I would not expect the whole country to change because of me.
There are still some countries in the world where I would not be allowed to follow my own religious faith and would be forced to conform to their dress codes. I should not be forced to adhere to foreign traditions when I'm at home.

Absolutely 100% agree with you. This modern day fixation with what people wear is becoming unbelievably tedious and overbearing. I hope the woman concerned successfully sues for religious discrimination.

Time Meddler
25-10-2006, 15:48

BUt this is just BA, not the whole country, and the piggy bank issue was one council and not the UK in general. I think the latter story was overblown by the media anyway and was not what it seemed.

Ck
25-10-2006, 16:14
I've started wearing my crucifix again just because it offends certain people.

Time Meddler
25-10-2006, 16:15

He he. Good idea. I'm almost wishing to do that myself, but I'm not religious. (Are you religious CK?)

Earl
25-10-2006, 16:21

I used to wear T-shirts with offensive slogans to offend certain people. It never worked though, the only time anyone ever complained about my attire was when I wore a German football shirt.

Ck
25-10-2006, 16:30
He he. Good idea. I'm almost wishing to do that myself, but I'm not religious. (Are you religious CK?)

No.

I was brought up catholic and had a catholic education, went to church, was in the church choir etc but when I reached a certain age I asked too many questions and never got any answers, people just got cross with me. Skipping church one Sunday led to a family rift that lasted around seven years and it was then that I decided that religion was an ugly thing.

The thing I believe in is the here and now, that we are masters of our own destiny and that we all have good and bad inside of us, it's up to us ourselves to follow the path that's right for us, whatever that may be.

The best thing about shaking off catholism is that I never feel guilt anymore, as long as I can happily and truthfully justify my own actions then I am free to do what I want when I want.

Ck
25-10-2006, 16:31
I used to wear T-shirts with offensive slogans to offend certain people. It never worked though, the only time anyone ever complained about my attire was when I wore a German football shirt.

If you could measure the strength of feelings between religious people and football fans, I could guess who'd come out on top! :D

Time Meddler
25-10-2006, 16:38
No.

I was brought up catholic and had a catholic education, went to church, was in the church choir etc but when I reached a certain age I asked too many questions and never got any answers, people just got cross with me. Skipping church one Sunday led to a family rift that lasted around seven years and it was then that I decided that religion was an ugly thing.

The thing I believe in is the here and now, that we are masters of our own destiny and that we all have good and bad inside of us, it's up to us ourselves to follow the path that's right for us, whatever that may be.

The best thing about shaking off catholism is that I never feel guilt anymore, as long as I can happily and truthfully justify my own actions then I am free to do what I want when I want.

I'd go along with that. I do believe nature can be more powerful than us as well and as long as we have a healthy respect for it, but I don't believe it is all run by some omnipotent being. I remember having an argument with my mum re fate. She believes in it but it is only to get out of responsibility for her own life and the decisions she has made. I asked how could a whole load of events be orchestrated just so that one person can have some good luck, and what about people who don't get good luck, but she had no answer.

Ck
25-10-2006, 16:51
I asked how could a whole load of events be orchestrated just so that one person can have some good luck, and what about people who don't get good luck, but she had no answer.

I have a theory on the good luck/bad luck attitude.

It's basically a state of mind. If you're happy/optimistic then you tend to focus on the good and brush aside the bad and visa versa. I have a friend who pretty much has had the same choices and same options available to her as I have had to me. So much so that we've joked that we lead parallel lives. Although our lives have been very similar our outlooks and attitudes are so different, she is so gloomy about everything, and the path it has taken her down is a miserable one which I believe is all of her own making.

As for fate, I don't believe that events are orchestrated for us but I do believe that if an opportunity presents itself then only certain people would take it, good or bad. Which goes back to us being in control of our own destinys, whether consciously or unconsciously I believe that is true. I prefer to be conscious when it comes to my lives path.

SFB
25-10-2006, 19:40
A pessimist has more good days than an optimist!

If that needs explaining, just ask me.

Time Meddler
25-10-2006, 20:30
So it's better to be a pessimist then?

Mike H
25-10-2006, 23:42
No.

That's definitely the best way to be. I think religion was and is a device of the ruling elite to keep the masses under control. To intelligent free thinkers it's simply a meaningless restraint that poses too many questions.

A_B
25-10-2006, 23:59
I'd go along with that. I do believe nature can be more powerful than us as well and as long as we have a healthy respect for it, but I don't believe it is all run by some omnipotent being. I remember having an argument with my mum re fate. She believes in it but it is only to get out of responsibility for her own life and the decisions she has made. I asked how could a whole load of events be orchestrated just so that one person can have some good luck, and what about people who don't get good luck, but she had no answer.

People think of 'fate' in different ways - I have no religion. My family are split (half are Catholic and half 'just get on with life'). My auntie (the catholic nun) still doesn't understand why you must give up so much in the catholic religion to be able to be classed as 'a disciple of god'....She's been in the convent for over 50 years - there were two kinds of nuns then - the workers and the homemakers. She'd already had jobs and skills - but she was a 'homemaker'. She basically had to look after the 'workers' and clean the house etc....how is that doing gods work? :confused: The workers looked down on the housekeepers - and the higher up you were in the convent - the more you treated the lower down nuns like pooh....but she saw everything (and still does) as a test - so she bit her tongue (she's got a vicious one sometimes :D ). She's had so much sh*t thrown at her in her life - but she sees everything as a test....whereas someone who wasn't married to god, might question things - she just accepts them. I couldn't do what she's done - she's given up her life for religion (which I do believe is there for the same reason as Mike said) - I just hope that when her time comes - she gets what she's been waiting for all her life - but is giving up your life totally worth the chance? She could of done all the good things without living like a pauper and being spoken down to....:confused:

SFB
26-10-2006, 10:29
So it's better to be a pessimist then?Unless you enjoy disappointment, yes.