PDA

View Full Version : Disciplining kids

A_B
20-09-2006, 13:09
What's acceptable nowadays? (luckily - I don't have to do anything with my son - nothing at all - seriously - he's always good :eek: ).

When we owned the video shop, a young lad came in (always polite usually - nice family) - then ran out sniggering. I realised he'd let a stink bomb off under instructions from a group of lads outside :rolleyes: I was nearly sick - no amount of air freshener would cover the stench - so I had to close the shop and 'sit it out' in the back :D I found it funny - but I didn't want customers coming in and thinking it was me because I was the only person there :eek:

..anyway - I'd always got on really well with his dad, so when he came in the next day - I mentioned it in passing - thinking he'd see the funny side as well. He stormed out of the shop appologising for his son. The next day - the kid came in red faced and apologised. His dad had left the video shop - stormed into his bedroom and pulled the t.v out of the socket and told him he was grounded. He then went around his whole bedroom removing plugs off everything (game consoles etc). I thought this was a bit harsh - but he said he wasn't having his son doing something like that:eek:

So - what do other parents do - and what did you have done to you when you were a kid?....

Victor29
20-09-2006, 13:20
Ooo, now this should be interesting! I'm dying to hear how peeps were thrashed within an inch of their lives!

Ck
20-09-2006, 15:06
I can't remember getting much discipline so whatever they did can't have been that traumatic. Mum was the screecher though, all dad had to do was look at me in that way and I'd feel really bad but he never did that that much.

I mostly got in bother about having an untidy room, all the other stuff I did, I never got caught for.

Time Meddler
20-09-2006, 15:25
Me and my brother used to get battered about often for nothing other than my dad was in a bad mood. I can only say that it has done me no good whatsoever, before the "go back to corporal punishment" brigade put their oar in.

SFB
20-09-2006, 20:23
Ooo, now this should be interesting! I'm dying to hear how peeps were thrashed within an inch of their lives!Yet unwilling to relate your own experience?

SFB
20-09-2006, 20:28
Me and my brother used to get battered about often for nothing other than my dad was in a bad mood. I can only say that it has done me no good whatsoever, before the "go back to corporal punishment" brigade put their oar in.That sort of treatment does nobody any good.
A firm slap on the legs with open hand when necessary is plenty IMO, that's all I ever received at home. At school it was a different story entirely, but even that caused no lasting damage!

*Twitch, twitch.*

Victor29
20-09-2006, 22:09
Yet unwilling to relate your own experience?

That's just between me and my Dad and his belt.

Time Meddler
20-09-2006, 22:22
*Twitch, twitch.*

:D

fayth
20-09-2006, 22:46
I was very rarely touched as a kid, tho my mam did have her moments with a hairbrush, but I legged it before it got to really hit me :D Although once she did bust my nose (you just can't smack your mother back can you). I do remember my older bro almost getting stabbed with a rake once. She lifted it so high above her head like she was about to chop a log up, that it scraped the top of the ceiling and the marks remained there for ages til it got repainted. Good thing he quickly moved.

Dad gave me the odd lil slap, but it was only when I was older that I got a good kicking from him, twice in fact, I have to say tho, that I probably deserved it, I had one hell of an attitude. Needless to say, I left home pretty quick after that.

A_B
20-09-2006, 23:41
I was very rarely touched as a kid, tho my mam did have her moments with a hairbrush, but I legged it before it got to really hit me :D Although once she did bust my nose (you just can't smack your mother back can you). I do remember my older bro almost getting stabbed with a rake once. She lifted it so high above her head like she was about to chop a log up, that it scraped the top of the ceiling and the marks remained there for ages til it got repainted. Good thing he quickly moved.

Dad gave me the odd lil slap, but it was only when I was older that I got a good kicking from him, twice in fact, I have to say tho, that I probably deserved it, I had one hell of an attitude. Needless to say, I left home pretty quick after that.

Oh - I remember the hairbrush....:D

My dad never hit me (as a child:o ) - it was always my mum. The usual things were used - a flying shoe etc - unless it was really bad - then I'd get the slipper (lost library books :( )

My older sister was a screamer though- she'd blame everything on everybody else and scream before she was hit...so she missed out as a child. The first time she didn't come home as a teenager - my dad walked down the street to find her with the dog. He found her crawling out of a pub drunk. He took the leash off the dog and whipped the hell out of her (the people she was with, all decided to go after him the next day in balaclavas :D - after sobering up, they decided against it though). My eldest sister never got hit by either parents though.

The hitting never did me any harm or good (I still believe they hit me for no reason) - I was never grounded or had things taken off me though....I didn't have much to have taken away..:D

Time Meddler
21-09-2006, 08:14
That's terrible though AB. What age were you when your mum gave you the slipper? If you were pretty young then, well, kids lose things don't they? No need for such harsh punishment. If you were older, then again such punishment should not be necessary.

playme
21-09-2006, 08:31
When I was really young did get a few bloody good hidings but looking back dont balme me mum as I was a little shite. When I was a teenager it was a smack on the head by the door if I was to late, but then knew it was coming so automatically would duck so me mum would miss and then get even more of the hump and chase me round the house.

A_B
21-09-2006, 12:23
That's terrible though AB. What age were you when your mum gave you the slipper? If you were pretty young then, well, kids lose things don't they? No need for such harsh punishment. If you were older, then again such punishment should not be necessary.

I was young - it never bothered me to be honest - I wasn't hit a lot. My mum hit me out of temper and apologised after a couple of hours. The slipper incident with the books was the worse time to be honest. My sisters grandma was taking us to the library - she used to come for her dinner, then take us home on the bus. She told me to get my books (I was always neat and tidy) - but because I was in a rush - I couldn't see them in the cupboard for looking. I missed the bus because her mouth was going in the background making me edgy. She beat the hell out of me and I fell asleep crying. She woke me an hour later crying - she'd found the books where I said I'd put them. She put her nice voice on and told me to run down and I might still catch up to my sisters.....I was just happy to be let out - I was sad because I couldn't find them though...:( I was about 6 and it was the first time I'd walked the half hour journey without my sisters - so pretty scary.

I wasn't a beaten child though - but I did get hit for no reason because my mum has a really bad temper (I was quiet and shy :o ). My older sister used to stand infront of me and protect me though....:)

A_B
21-09-2006, 12:34
When I was really young did get a few bloody good hidings but looking back dont balme me mum as I was a little shite. When I was a teenager it was a smack on the head by the door if I was to late, but then knew it was coming so automatically would duck so me mum would miss and then get even more of the hump and chase me round the house.

I used to have to stand and take it - or it got harder if she had to chase me...:D

I used to run away from home every Sunday afternoon with my pram (stressful day for mum getting the school stuff ready)....:D My dad used to leave it a couple of hours, then come and find me - I was always in the same place....the away hut on the football pitch :D

sixaparrat
21-09-2006, 13:00
Our headmaster used to say that " Corporal punishment would prevent General misbehaviour " and yes, he was a sadistic God bothering tw*t. :mad:

SFB
21-09-2006, 20:14
Our headmaster used to say that " Corporal punishment would prevent General misbehaviour " and yes, he was a sadistic God bothering tw*t. :mad:Couldn't you at least give your opinion as to whether you think he was right or wrong and if you think it worked?

sixaparrat
22-09-2006, 09:17
OK, it worked insofar that we knew what the punishment would be if we transgressed and were caught.

The banning of corporal punishment meant that there were differing punishments for the same transgression, so we were more likely to take the risk of being caught, hoping for a lighter sentence:rolleyes:

SFB
22-09-2006, 09:23
So you're basically saying that it's banning meant that you were more likely to do something you shouldn't?

sixaparrat
22-09-2006, 09:34
Yep

SFB
22-09-2006, 11:14
It seems to be a malaise that caught on big time.:mad: